Marantz CD74 distorted jumpy sound end of disc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD 74 draw earth? problem

Hi CD74.CD84 owners

I have a CD74 which i purchased with a worn out belt. I replaced it but have issues putting the unit back together.:eek:

Funny enough the CDM1 in this is a Philips, not the Japanese version that appears in the CD84.

It has two earths, the blue arrows points to where i placed the long earth, and hence having issues meeting the screw for the faceplate. ? is this the correct location?

The other is a clip to the door, on the higher rest pics i noticed the teeth mark of the earth lug, still confused how to place it:headbash::eek:

Apart from that all other mods recap done ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Marantz CD74 - load disc player ejects disc

I put the CD74 back together, after testing the spare CDM1 laser from the CD84 which was working.

The CD74 mech is a philips CDM1, i load a shop (bought disc) it goes to read, but before that it ejects?

Wiring around wrong way? what are the possible causes.

The CDM1 jumper to the Power Supply PCB - there are 4 wires, leading to a 5 pin pcb, ? i have the wiring correct i took note, but is it possible the the - pin (hole) nearest to rca is blank?

Maybe the CDM1 tray is the issue?

Last edited:
I put the CD74 back together, after testing the spare CDM1 laser from the CD84 which was working.

The CD74 mech is a philips CDM1, i load a shop (bought disc) it goes to read, but before that it ejects?

Wiring around wrong way? what are the possible causes.

The CDM1 jumper to the Power Supply PCB - there are 4 wires, leading to a 5 pin pcb, ? i have the wiring correct i took note, but is it possible the the - pin (hole) nearest to rca is blank?

Maybe the CDM1 tray is the issue?

Maybe the problem is switch touch not good

Thanks Keevlin
** update - disconnected tray power and belt and manually loaded a disc - disc didnt read - maybe laser mech is not getting power? - hope cleaning the class lens didnt hurt it, i toook the whole unit apart and stored the laser mech on the table while i de-dusted the chasis **

more worried about laser mech but in the cd84 the laser didnt fail but something within unit, hope isnt same problem again.

- attach belt again - disc spins and it ejects, remove belt and a noise comes from the mech unit ?

*** update ***

I wiggled some jumper wires - whatever was the issue with the drive ejecting that is gone.

0.00 displayed with track numbers below - its a Philips made CDM1

Played perfectly then, just stopped playing??? something loose ? any thoughts please thanks Sam :)

Last edited:
:yawn: finally got the CD74 working, had to swap out the other CDM1 (philips based one) as it seemed to play then freeze?

Now my other one with new caps, oiled swing arm, cleaned laser glass, yet near the end of the track jumpy scatchy sound? ?

Could this be a sign of it failing?:(

Sounds like it cannot move far enough across the disc. Check for free movement of the optical unit and that the disc is sat properly on the platter.

Also check the rails for damage or minute " lumps " of dirt or hardened grease etc.

Don't forget these players will not play a disc more than 1hour in length!

Hi Jon, Thank you for the help.
There is some space on the platter say compared to a CD50. There is more play for the disc to move about. The disc in question on the day it played up was 63 minutes, for some reason it will not play cdrs anymore.

Worse things now, I have a earth buzz issue.

Thanks Konzentr8, not sure if there is rails with the swing arm, but i put some silicon oil and worked the mech back and forth.

Sorry didn't think about it being a swing arm mech just that dirt on the " rails " is a common issue with older players. I'm not familiar with the model but i've had a couple of philips players where the ribbon cable has got caught after " maintenance " and stopped the drive from moving past a certain point .

Sorry didn't think about it being a swing arm mech just that dirt on the " rails " is a common issue with older players. I'm not familiar with the model but i've had a couple of philips players where the ribbon cable has got caught after " maintenance " and stopped the drive from moving past a certain point .

Thanks Konzen :) Yes,noiw the ribbon cable could be an issue with this player, maybe affected it at the end of the disc more, as it was random as it played a whole disc through before hand. I now have an earthing issue to sort out, oiled the philips cdm1 and might put it back in to see if it works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.