Soft start circuit design and other psu issues

I do not see how the soft start circuit can be made into a slow charge for a large capacitor bank in a high powered class A amp, as either the load on switching is VERY high, or the dissipation in the bypass resistors is very high. without the class A load, it is no problem, with the load, it is extreme. I think one would have to also switch the load after a duration..... which means more relays....

If any interest, I can post an LTspice sim using inductors for transformers.....

In another thread, Mark Johnson pointed out the following document and made, amongst others, the following comments. See section 5.2 In-Rush Control. Perhaps this is instructive?

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snaa057b/snaa057b.pdf

The NSC application note snaa057b is instructive, because it contains actual oscilloscope waveforms of an actual linear power supply during soft-start. Have a look at Figure 5 in particular; it shows the filter capacitor voltage vs time.

Notice that the extra resistance in the transformer primary (the "soft start") only participates for the first 500 milliseconds after switch-on. If the mains frequency is 50Hz and if a full wave bridge rectifier is used, there will be 50 waveform crests during those 500 milliseconds. You will get 50 diode current-pulses during soft start. Fifty! That turns out to be quite a lot.

As I'm sure you've seen in simulation, the frightening aspect of filter-capacitor-charge-up occurs on the first five to ten waveform crests. These are the ones whose diode current-pulses are truly enormous. After about the tenth current pulse (about 100 msec after startup), the current pulses are no longer frighteningly huge. NSC's current limiter prevents these first ten current-pulses from being enormous. And the next ninety pulses thereafter, too.

So NSC has managed to put together a 9-element soft start circuit which quite successfully limits current to both the transformer and to the rectifier/capacitor assembly. They didn't need two separate soft start circuits with wildly different activation times. An ICL thermistor would prolong the startup event over an even longer time than 500 msec , see the GE data sheet. You can form your own opinion about whether this is preferable or not.

By the way, inquisitive readers might enjoy printing Figure 5 at high magnification, then measuring asymptotes, slopes, curvatures, breakpoints, and the like. You may be able to extract the total series resistance of the experimental setup (Mains Rthevenin impedance + xformer wire resistance + xformer core losses + PCB track resistance + Capacitor ESR + diode tangency (dV/dI) + etc).

Thanks gents,

I don't have issues with soft start, it is the slow charge of the cap bank that is of concern. I am using two of Tea Bags boards, wired for a center tapped transformer, and the C in the CRC is 44,000uF. That's 88,000uF per rail, per channel.

Using NTCs after the secondary windings will allow slow charging of the capacitor bank, they aren't just for the primary side. A convenient spot would between the rectifiers and the caps on the rail side. As Andrew suggests, you can bypass the NTCs after a few hundred ms. As long as it has the current capability, you could run that relay from the mains soft start as the required timing is similar.

That's where NTCs offer a big advantage.
A correctly selected NTC (or series of NTCs if the required is not available) will not overheat.
There is another advantage to NTC limited current.
As the charge voltage builds up, the NTC has heated during that short period. The resistance is now slightly less and in part compensates for the reduced charging voltage (charging voltage = transformer emf - voltage on the capacitor).
This gives closer to constant current charging and is the shortest time that the capacitor can be charged at that current limit.

A fixed resistor gives a non constant current charge. Theoretically the capacitor never actually achieves full charge. In practice >90% of full charge is achieved in ~5*RC time constant and in 10*RC time constant it is effectively fully charged.
An NTC does it faster than this.

Yes, the NTC will be faster. However, you need to take the NTC out of circuit so that it will be allowed to cool, which means what is equivalent to a form-C relay must be used. NB. LTspice simulation shows that the NTC will *still* conduct after the bypass relay has closed.

What if you power cycle the amp before the NTC has cooled? The inrush can blow the thermistor no?

The resistor has no such issue -- it is just important that the resistor is selected so that the power rating is respected. The Welwyn company provides a document that shows how much overpowered their resistors can be without failing, but it is just as simple to use a larger resistance to limit the inrush current to below the resistor's power rating.

This also increases turn on delay time.

IMO, it is worth the extra time at turn on ( and extra cost for resistors) to avoid any potential problems due to short cycling.

In a slow charge application, when power is cycled quickly the capacitor charge isn't likely to be depleted much (witness how long the amp plays after shutoff if you leave the source going) so the new inrush will be limited. I don't think you will have an issue burning out the NTC.

Also, good design practice in either case is to specify resistors and NTCs that can carry the full current in case the bypass relay fails to operate.

IMO, it boils down to personal preference. I like NTCs for getting to operating faster while still protecting the bridges and capacitors.

As I understand it, when the NTC is hot it's resistance is minimal and the in-rush passes freely. The issue might rather be a hot NTC and depleted (bled) caps. Then the NTC won't protect them and rectifier diodes from in-rush when still hot...

True, but that is more of an issue on the primary side, where the transformer may present essentially a short circuit if the magnetization is worst case. Then you wouldn't have time for the NTC to cool and present a significant resistance. But an amp with enough capacitance to require a slow charge (current discussion) will bleed off its rails very slowly even at fairly significant bias, so a short interruption isn't such a big deal

For example, my A75 with only 45K µF per rail and 2A bias will play for at least 20 seconds after removing power to the output stage. (separate transformer for the front end) In that time the NTC will have cooled significantly and recovered most of its cold state resistance. Not to mention that you've also got the primary side soft start helping to limit inrush currents.

I've simmed a version where the rail voltage drops to below the deactivation voltage of the thermistor bypass relay. It takes around 14 -15 seconds.

Now, apply power, and the sim shows the thermistors passing a 40A peak.

I don't think waiting for them to cool is going to work all that well.

The thermistors must remain deenergized for a significant length of time before the power can be cycled. Resistors do not have this issue, but they won't fill the cap bank as the amp bias current drains the caps very quickly. ONLY if the bias current is switched can you assure that power cycling can be safe.

I honestly don't see an idiot proof method except for using lots of resistors and applying the bias current to the outputs ONLY when the caps have been filled. ie, place an NO relay between the power supply and the amp, or even between the front end and the output boards (thinking F5T here).

Is there really no better way?

As I understand it, when the NTC is hot it's resistance is minimal and the in-rush passes freely. The issue might rather be a hot NTC and depleted (bled) caps. Then the NTC won't protect them and rectifier diodes from in-rush when still hot...
Then if that is YOUR issue, don't fit bleeders. The biggest advantage that adding bleeders have is increased ripple (hum) on the PSU output.

Some might like more hum in their low SPL music reproduction.

I don't, so I do not fit bleeders.

True, but that is more of an issue on the primary side, where the transformer may present essentially a short circuit if the magnetization is worst case. Then you wouldn't have time for the NTC to cool and present a significant resistance. But an amp with enough capacitance to require a slow charge (current discussion) will bleed off its rails very slowly even at fairly significant bias, so a short interruption isn't such a big deal

For example, my A75 with only 45K µF per rail and 2A bias will play for at least 20 seconds after removing power to the output stage. (separate transformer for the front end) In that time the NTC will have cooled significantly and recovered most of its cold state resistance. Not to mention that you've also got the primary side soft start helping to limit inrush currents.
the NTC starts cold and has the high resistance required to limit the inital charging current.
After a short charging time the NTC is warming and the resistance is dropping.
after a further time, say 200 mains cycles, the NTC current has fallen considerably below the initial peak charging current and the NTC dissipation has fallen (Intc * Vdropntc) considerably. The NTC cools before the smoothing capacitance has fully charged.
The charging rate in the later period of charging is quite slow, the ntc may have come back up to 20% to 50% of the cold value.
Finally the smoothing caps reach ~ 99.9% of their full charge voltage and the NTC has come back up to 50% to 90% of it's cold resistance value. NOW is the time to trigger the NTC bypass.

................I honestly don't see an idiot proof method except for using lots of resistors and applying the bias current to the outputs ONLY when the caps have been filled. ie, place an NO relay between the power supply and the amp, or even between the front end and the output boards (thinking F5T here).

Is there really no better way?
The NTC manufacturers make NTCs specifically to control the speed of charging capacitors.
They know their product.
They show you how to apply their product.
Do as they say and the slow charge is taken care of.

BUT !!!! then bypass the NTC to make the PSU ready to do it's job. To provide a low impedance source of current.
The PSU cannot do that job of "low impedance" if the NTC is still in circuit.