Bridge Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to everyone,

I want to know if it's possible to make amplifier with a bridge topology for single supplies without using two distinct amplifiers. :confused:
I've this schematic from LTSpice examples, but I want to know if it's possible to make something with better specs, using current sources, an enhanced current mirror at the IPS output to increase the open loop gain and also a beta enhanced VAS or a differential VAS. I've tried to do such thing but the amplifier saturates, I can't set the DC value at the outputs, the amplifier outputs stays at Vcc-Vsat or Vsat.
:(

Best regards,
Daniel

Attachments

• PowerAmp.asc
    7.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Bridge_amp.png
    Bridge_amp.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 433
Good idea

Hi Daniel, it is definitely possible.

Here is a very good example - Accuphase A680 (see attached schematic).

Symmetric input stage, then mirrored common base VAS. Each side of it works on separate drivers and OPs.

Two DC offset integrators, 2 global NFB loops, balanced input.

Extremely elegant...

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• A680.JPG
    A680.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 424
Hi Valery and thanks for your help,

Very interesting circuit.
:)
But it seems very complicated.
It's not possible to make something a little bit more simple?
An amplifier like this has to use DC servos (integrators) to ensure DC stabilization? Or they're optional?

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Valery thank you once more for your help,

Do you know why this amplifier (attached) have DC stability problems, I can't stabilize the output at Vcc/2, can you help me here?

PS: It's possible to use a differential VAS and use both legs of the VAS to connect the two OPSs?
Or it's a bad idea?

Best regards,
Daniel

Attachments

• Bridge.asc
    10.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Bridge_amp_prob1.png
    Bridge_amp_prob1.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Tricky servo

Here we go :)

Sorry - could not avoid DC servo here.
The problem is that in such a bridged design it is important to stabilize the DC parameters and the best way to do it I see at the moment is to stabilize the LT current via DC servo with open collector, controlling long tail. When it is stabilized this way, all queiscent currents are set and the outputs are balanced between the rails. It is possible to do it manually with a trimmer, but because of temperature changes, elements tolerance, etc. it will not be stable. Integrator provides auto-balancing.

I have also played with some values - not important.

Result - a decent amp, self-balanced, stable, pretty efficient for such a simple design.

I had to artificially ground one of the outputs - otherwise multisim's THD meter does not work (rather inconvenient) - in real prototype the ground would be between the power sources.

By the way, now it is easy to use a single power source if you like - just set the point marked GROUND between the rails (couple of resistors with filtering caps) - DC servo will balance the scheme automatically.

Appeared to be an interesting project in the end ;)
Let me know if you need more explanations.

Cheers,
Valery

P.S. You can try differential VAS - it will work even better. But DC servo will still be required if you want auto-balancing feature.

Attachments

• 01 Bridged-sch-01.jpg
    01 Bridged-sch-01.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 02 Bridged-graphs-01.jpg
    02 Bridged-graphs-01.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I want to know if it's possible to make amplifier with a bridge
topology for single supplies without using two distinct amplifiers. :confused:

Daniel

Hi,

Possible, but hopelessly inaccurate AFAIK. The implication is
only one feedback loop, which cannot set the dc conditions.

If it could be done, it would be common, it isn't, it can't.
Car stuff has exploited every single supply option available.

rgds, sreten.

could also read up on fully diferential I/O op amps - which do have a common mode control loop built in

the common mode loop can be very nearly orthognal to the differential gain - very little interaction between the two

Pass SuSy may also illustrate an option for "integrated" bridging

I just roughly chose the queiscent currents for each stage - 1mA per LTP output (2mA for the long tail), 10mA for VAS and 100mA for the OP. Then I reduced R1, R2 and R7, R8 respectively to increase VAS gain, allowing lower distortion via deeper global NFB. Gain increase required more comprehensive compensation.

C5 between the LTP outputs is a so called lag compensation cap. Actually, this design will work without it, but you will find some signs of oscillation (not criminal, but still) after a fast front, at square wave for example. With C5 in place square wave is nice and clean.

Yes, DC offset at both outputs very much depends on IPS current, so DC servo compares it to the point between the rails and regulates, keeping the output offsets equal to that point. It is a very accurate self-balancing "mechanism". LF411 is very good for this purpose due to low input currents and low-drift design in general. I invented the way of driving the IPS current with "open collector" just yesterday, thinking about your design.

Thank you for inspiration :)

Hi Valery and thank you for your great help and support,

I don't know if I will build this amplifier later, it seems very interesting indeed. But now I want to make something more simple with single ended output, do you recommend me a simple CFA design like VSSA, or it's better to make a simple VFA design?
Why that bridge amplifier from LTSpice exemples, attached to the first post works without an integrator?

Best regards,
Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.