Help with vented 2 way design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm in the process of designing the enclosure for a 2 way build that will use the Faital Pro PR300 woofer in a vented enclosure.

My plan is to build 3 of these for a home theatre application to use as left, centre and right, this will be crossed over to my sub at 80hz.

Now I'm under the impression the desired F3 for such an application is around the 60hz mark.

Any ideas on box design?

What is the ideal port air speed in such an application? Most of the designs I've looked at thus far have a speed of around the 30m/s mark. This is however at 50/60hz where once in situ will be after the crossover. This will help, correct?

Another quick one, how important is the 1st port resonance? I'm aiming to keep the resonance above my intended higher crossover point of 1400hz, so ideally this will be at 1500hz... Having the 1st port resonance below the crossover point (say around 1khz) will cause the 'pipe' noise?

Am I right?

So, to sum it up I'm basically asking for the best way to balance F3, FB, port air speed and port resonance. Enclosure volume is kind of fixed at 40/45 litres after drivers and bracing.

Hopefully this makes some sense :).

Thanks

Hi again htuu,

1) I put all the simulation data you need on the Faital 12FP300 in your earlier thread. If you are not comfortable running the free WinISD box simulator, or using one of the free crossover design programs, then building an Econowave that uses your Faital 12PR300 seems safest. See the web address I sent in your earlier "Thinking about a 2 way build?" thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/242784-thinking-about-2-way-build.html

2) A sealed box midrange will have superior sound to a ported bass reflex box.

3) The commonly recommended LR4 crossover circuit uses the -6db point frequency for each driver. The Fatial 12PR300 is -6db at almost exactly 80Hz in a 0.98 cuft sealed box(plus volume of speaker and bracing). This will simplify MT crossover to just a -12db/octave circuit.

4) In a 1.75 cuft ported box(plus speaker and bracing), the Faital 12PR300 is -6db at 51Hz 4" diameter port, 3.5" long has no issue with "huffing" from port air velocity effects.

5) At 80Hz, most technical papers recommend putting one woofer right under(next to) each MT speaker. Two 3-way speakers will have superior sound, with reduced room mode bass, when compared to MTs + single sub. A single shared woofer is best used at <60Hz in most small rooms.

6) A matched pair of 3-way speakers will produce the best stereo sound. The center voice channel can be a ported MT, or just another sealed MT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.