How much space around a woofer is enough? (Pluto-type PVC speaker)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to be building a Pluto-esque speaker with these NHT buyout drivers. The thing that worries me is the huge magnetic sheild. Sitting in the rubber plumbing adapter, there is very little room between the sheild and the rubber:

1354583991029.jpg

1354583941231.jpg

Its about 5/8" of space. Is this enough room to "breath"?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ouch, that is tight

but in this regard the magnet cover is most likely to your advantage
smoothening the 'passage', so to speak

but if the woofer is also playing midrange there might be very audible 'ressonances'
remember that the cone is very thin, and acousticly transparent

not sure it will move enough to actually be a 'breathing issue'
but thats what its called

Thanks for your input guys. Tinitus, I'm not sure I understand your smoothening comment, but I think I get the resonances comment. You're saying the space around the sheild might act as a port, like in a subwoofer box, and affect the frequency response around that resonant frequency, right?

I've calculated the space around the sheild to equal 6.21 cubic inches. But to find the resonant frequency of that space, will I also need to calculate the volume of the entire enclosure? I haven't calculated the volume yet.

Math makes my head hurt, so I think I'm going to try Andersonix's suggestion and see if i can remove the shield :p

thanks again,

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.