Yamaha JA-0509 tweeter from NS670 speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are different so my cross overs would need adjusting as well , much too technical for me.

This is the break.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/robertgilmore/hi fi/DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg
As You can see it is right underneath the voice coil. The could is a flat copper wire with an insulating varnish on it, the coil has no former.
The lead wire comes from the top of the coil which is far from ideal as it has to fit inside a very tight groove in the magnet, it is folded over then runs down the side of the voice coil and is held in place at the bottom on the suspension with a blob oglue or varnish or whatever it is they use. The whole thing is then varnished over.

My only option, or at least the only option I can see would be to soften the varnish enough to remove the lead wire from the side of the voice coil then bring it back down the side of the coil at a steeper angle after soldering a new bit of wire to it and bringing that right over to the solder tag beyond the gasket.

Does anybody know what I can use to soften the varnish? The only things I have to hand are cellulouse thinners, nail varnish remover, isopropyl alcohol and various white spirits, terps etc etc.
I have no idea what the varnish is so I have no idea what to use to soften it.

Can anyone see any problems with my proposed repair before I take it on?

Unwinding a turn from the tweeter voicecoil and reaffixing is a standard sort of fix, but you only get one shot at it, which is worrying. It's a fragile design too. I wonder if it's worth getting some professional repair here?

Troels did a nice analysis of the similar Yamaha NS1000. He didn't think the tweeter was very special.
Yamaha-NS1000

Looks like it's very much a supertweeter in practise. Coming in at 5kHz on an attenuator. 93dB efficiency is rare, but there are quite a few replacements that will work, which might be your get out of jail card here. Monacor DT300 comes to mind.

A chap who does a lot of work like this had the speakers today and said repair was going to be difficult if possible at all. He called a speaker repair shop in London , the name escapes me now who also said they wouldnt be able to fix it.

I am still going to give it a go as I have nothing to lose.

These tweeters come up from time to time second hand so I am confident I could get a replacement at some point in the future but I would rather repair if possible.

I dont think taking a coil off the top is a wise idea given the fragile nature of the cone, last resort maybee.

Hi,

Unwinding a turn is moreorless the standard way of doing it.
I don't really understand your alternative description of a fix.

rgds, sreten.

Where the lead wire folds over off the top of the coil and runs down the side of the coil, if I can seperate it from the coil without damaging the coils integrity I can then solder a fresh piece of wire to it and reattach it to the side of the coil at a reduced angle with a tiny amount of superglue, this way the coil remains intact, the lead wire wont interfere with the magnet and the solder repair will be out of the way of the magnet also.

Whatever I do to repair this I will have to soften the varnish somehow without removing it altogether or I stand a chance of deforming the coil.
This is where my problem lies, what do I use to soften the varnish or whatever they used to glue the coil together with in the first place.

Like this.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.