Suggestions and tech help for bicycle boombox.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built similar projects in the past and come up with poor results. The last box I built with a velleman 1W amp and some old 3in. car speakers. I have drawn the interest of a friend who wants something much more powerful. I know so far that I will be using a LiPo battery and a class D amp.

Some other details of the application:
-The whole system will be mounted on a 13 x 5.5 seat post Pannier rack capacity=22 lbs.
-The lighter the better, we are strong but, light is faster.
-The louder the better, we entertain 100+ person bike rides.
-Cost is relative to how well it preforms so any and all suggestion are welcome.

I am no pro at this sort of thing, I can solder pretty darn well and have some experience putting together kits. Thats it. Please be specific and feel free to be long winded in your explanations as to why this or that would be best. I am eager to learn.

Thank you all for any help.

Well,
22 lbs ain't that much payload if you want a good system but I would guess that a 2 way system would be suitable for your needs.
Forget about reproducing sub frequencies. A reasonable range would be around 90Hz - 20 KHz with an overall acceptable response in this frequency area.
An example could be like this:

5 inch low-mid driver in a for example 6 liter vented box tuned at 50 Hz:
SC13 - Visaton magnetically shielded 13 cm (5 inch) HiFi low-midrange driver 8 Ohm (8013) - Europe Audio
And then use a dome tweeter for the higher frequencies:
25-302SH - TB speakers 1 inch fabric dome/neodymium tweeter - Europe Audio

Then add a simple 6dB 2 way crossover at around 1,5KHz and you should do fine.

For amplifiers I would say 10 - 15 watt should be reasonable if you want long life. I think Sure Electronics have some neat amplifiers for you application.
This is of course a mono system so you will need a pre-stage that converts stereo to mono and also cuts the frequency at around 80Hz since you wont be able to reproduce lower frequencies.

But this is just a suggestion. There might be better solutions. This is just how I would do it :)

Regards,

Simon H.A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.