your thoughts wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The History
Two times in two years I have managed to blow my woofers out of my Mirage 590i's. The first time using an Adcom 550 amp. The most resent, with a GAS Son of Ampzilla, going through a Jamo SW300 passive sub. I have now desided to take measures into my own hands.

What I have
4 tweeters from the 590i's
crossovers from a pair of Jamo 661
the Son of for power
and the subwoofer

What I am planning to buy
2 woofers, Goldwood Gw 8pc-30 8" 8 ohm
2 pasive radiators Dayton 8"
and two L-Pads

My plan
speakers will be 43"h x 12"w x 12"d with the back being 5" wide.
I'm planning to compleatly enclose the woofer section in a 20" area. And mounting one tweeter off center forward facing and the other on top of the speaker, facing upward.

Does anyone here see any problems with this design, or componants?

mikemorrow said:
Does anyone here see any problems with this design, or componants?

Unfortunately, yes. You're building a box from scratch therefore you'll need to design a custom crossover for it. Unless I'm mistaken the rather basic Jamo 661 crossover is for a small in-wall speaker, you'll never get it to work properly with your setup. In your place what I'd do would be to simply replace the horrible mid bass driver Mirage uses in their M dipole low-end series with a better one (say Dayton of Vifa or Hi-Vi) and modify the Mirage crossover accordingly. For the price the Mirage tweeters are okay so no need to replace them unless you intend to overhaul the whole crossover.

That could be interesting. You'll definitely need measuring equipment. The tweeters probably are pretty good, I have some entry level mirages the Omni 50s. As for the idea of putting the tweeter on top you might like it, but why not just keep things bipolar, maybe getting enough woofers to make it bipolar as well. Or you can just use the tweeter on the back as an "ambiance" tweeter with an l-pad to adjust its level if desired.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.