My Tempest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://photobucket.com/albums/e347/pothaudio/?

Here are some pics of my Tempest sub. 15" driver with dual 8 ohm V.C.s. Sealed box, app. 5 ft^3 after bracing and driver volume are removed. 40 oz. polyfill. The little black stuff is a dab or two of "black hole 5" for the little unbraced spans getting near the top on 2 sides. A lot of fiddling to get the 'pressure fit' technique I wanted to use with the bracing to work, but it's very strong now. Driving it with the Apex Sr. plate amp www.apexjr.com but using a separate enclosure for that.

It's by far the biggest sub I've built or had extensive experience with, and my initial listening (movies, I was feeling naughty and just wanted boom, didn't hear music) was very positive.

Comments?

Need4speed,

I intend to put a finish on it. But for now, it'll have to suffice unfinished. I'm not a tremendously good finisher yet though, have only finished 3 pairs of speaker cabinets before, though I've built (and left unfinished) many more than that. The cold weather and massive size of this mean: a finish will have to wait 'til spring :)

Glowbug, yeah, it definitely 'wangs'

need4speed said:
same thing happend to me...i was anxious to hear mine, so i put it all together and didnt finish it...with the intent of going back and applying veneer...never happend...2 yrd later its still raw mdf :)

enjoy it...

Just because it does not have a finnish, it will still sound good.

Build it and play with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.