Glassware ACF-2 cathode follower octal vs 9-pin questions

Hi all. I recently made a thread (albeit in the wrong section) asking for advice about what kind of line stage to build to go with my setup. Link here: Reccommendations for a preamp build based on my gain and impedance needssetups

The conclusion, with a lot of help from rongon, is that I need a near unity gain line stage, to go with my Quad 306 amp and Trichord Dino phono stage.

I am pretty set on getting one of the Glassware cathode follower kits, in particular the ACF-2. However, I am not sure whether to get the 9-pin or octal version. I have tried to find out the differences between them, but I am struggling to make sense of it. I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on the differences, from views such as that octal tubes offer more gain or octal tubes can offer a 'fuller' sound, but also views in the complete opposite of this.

I was more set on getting the 9-pin version, I think, but now that is out of stock. The octal version is still in stock, so I would like to get some opinion on what might suit me best if possible.

I have tried to contact John from Glassware with a few questions, but unfortunately, he has not got back to me. I have read elsewhere that his email inbox gets filled with spam so sometimes messages can be missed.

So, in short, I guess what I'm asking is what are the differences between these two kits?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
But you don't want gain!!?

So will a cavern.

It's like beer. It comes in cans and bottles. For everyday small beer, there's not really much difference. Don't overthink.

Yes, I think you're probably right that I'm overthinking it! Where I mentioned about gain and 'fuller sound', I was merely quoting erroneous statements I've seen elsewhere, which are just further confusing me with my choice.

Out of curiosity, why would there be two versions of the kit if there's no difference between the octal and 9-pin?

I will probably just go with the octal as it's in stock, but thanks for your help!

Chris

A buffer is nearly as neutral as you can get. As long as the tube can move a few mA of current, it'll make a decent buffer.

If the octal is in stock get the octal... At least they still make 6SN7 types and 6N8S are still available.

I make a buffer kit with four versions. All of them sound the same. The only difference if the tube used and it's cost. If I can use a 2$ tube and it'll sound the same as a 20$ tube, why wouldn't I do that, right? :) Like how 6N24P is basically a 6DJ8 with a different pinout and so it's way less money...

octal tubes can offer a 'fuller' sound, but also views in the complete opposite of this.

"Fuller sound" = more distortion.

each with their own individual sonic differences

Correction: Each with their own individual distortion profile

Audio marketing is chock full of bull. In fact it's 100% bull. Marketers are eager to exploit consumer's ignorance.

When it comes to audio, if an engineer isn't saying it, it's almost 100% certain that what they're saying is BS.

Performance of a follower depends on the device gain. More gain, more accurate following (lower distortion).

Oh, ok. I'm very new to all of this and I thought the gain of a cathode follower was unity or near unity gain.

Do you mean that the closer the gain is to its limit (unity gain), the lower the distortion? And is that due to more negative feedback as the gain nears its theoretical limit?