Capacitors for Class A - large can type vs small snap in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't see this specific topic (sell one sort of).
I'm look at the same values uf, voltage, temp and what not in large can type and smaller snap in type. Given all values are the same, do the larger caps offer better performance to rid noise from the power supply? Thanks much.

Capacitors have capacitance, voltage rating, equivalent series resistance, inductance, ripple factor at a known test frequency. If one knew all of these specifications, he could predict if a product of a different type could replace another product. Mostly these numbers aren't known of an old product, and many are not published for new products.
I've successfully replaced large can caps of the 70's & 80's with a physically smaller snap in cap, or an array of smaller snap in caps wired in parallel with suitable (18 ga or 16 ga) wire. Success is not guarenteed. I've used NEMA CE composite board to glue the caps to for arrays, then screw the board to the chassis with standoffs.

My point is that physical volume is NOT an electronic attribute. Everything electronic being the same, 2 capacitors of different sizes will behave exactly the same. The only possible difference may be heat dissipation, which is related to skin area. But if a capacitor needs to dissipate that much heat, you have more important problems than size...

I didn't see this specific topic (sell one sort of).
I'm look at the same values uf, voltage, temp and what not in large can type and smaller snap in type. Given all values are the same, do the larger caps offer better performance to rid noise from the power supply? Thanks much.

Fact is they aren't , this is why you have big ones and small ones ;)

if you want do get rid of the noise , size doesn't matter , math matter ;)

PSUD2 helps you to make those math ;)

Last edited:
In the illustrated build for the F5 Turbo, 6L6 indicates that the V2 requires a 24-0-24 transformer at 600 to 800 VA and 80,000uf or more per rail. OK, I'm 20,000 over, do you think that's an issue? I am using the Antek brand transformer with the MUR3060WT diodes in lieu of a full bridge. The attempt is to follow the F5 Turbo write-up from Nelson Pass as closely as possible. And then experiment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.