Looking for Parasound D/AC-1000 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Parasound D/AC-1000, has anyone modded one yet? I really like the sound of it but you guys know way more than I do about modding this type of gear.
I know there is a German company selling a new receiver and filter chip but I'm not convinced it will do much good for Red book.
Op-Amps will require the installation of sockets, not really a big deal but has anyone gone there yet? I picked up a set of K grade chips. Figured that when I install them I might be open to other mods as well.
There is so much done right in this build with the three linear PS and overall solid construction that I'm surprised it hasn't developed a sort of cult like following.

BillWojo

I've not modded one myself but looking at the schematic I'd kick off by cleaning up the power supplies.

First off there are an array of 'lytics prior to the 3-terminal regulators so they're crying out for some series Rs (or Ls) to improve the HF ripple rejection.

Second the I/V stage silicon looks to have its own hybrid discrete-IC regulator but what fills me with horror is the presence of a 470uF cap between the IC (5534)'s output and ground. This is suggesting to me the designer had some stability issues with this particular reg. I note there's no 22pF Ccomp to render the 5534 unity gain stable....:eek::eek::eek: Best look for replacements for these reg subcircuits methinks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.