Transistor Socket/Adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to build some simple circuits for testing and evaluating transistors. What I would like to incorporate is some kind of socket that can mount on ordinary perf board and that would allow me to insert and remove, at will, TO92 or TO5 format transistors. Do such animals exist? If so, is the pricing reasonable for the lowly hobbyist? Are there any pre-made circuits that allow plug-n-play of transistors for evaluation/testing that could be easily incorporated into a test device?

Thanks in advance for the time and effort.

A good option is to use individual contacts removed from a machine-turned IC socket. If you select a good quality socket, they will be quite durable, especially with round wires like the TO5.
Since there is no more dielectric, the capacitance will be very low.
You can mount them the "normal" way, or drill a larger hole (~1.3mm) and mount them flush: this will give you low inductance as well.

Three pins should be fine for what I'm doing. If I continue down this path and actually build out a full fledged tester, I will probably give each possible lead configuration its own socket, making note of each socket's needs on whatever board or chassis it happens to end up taking residence. This gives me flexibility and easy expansion of the project at a later date should I attempt to go beyond my most basic testing requirements.

Three pins is not enough. You will need 5 pins strip, positioned and wired as
DGSDG, or CBECB
to be able to test all types of pinouts without bending the transistors leads.
Yes, in addition it is also a good idea to plan for a "connector saver", basically the same type of socket attached in a semi-permanent way into the actual test socket.
This is necessary because the machined receptacles wear quite rapidly when subjected to repeated insertions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.