Simple(?) crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, not so simple that I can answer it, but that bar is set pretty low.

I wanted to quickly test some drivers just for basic working condition. I dont have a method of simply generating a particular or restricted frequency/range. perhaps that is the direction I need to go.

I do have an already assembled crossover, but it is set up for an 8-ohm tweeter, rather than the 16-ohm one I need to use. I am not sure what the result/effects will be. I am only concerned if it results in a significant lowering of the effective crossover frequency, don't care about odd but non-physically-harmful sonic effects.

Advice?

I dont have a method of simply generating a particular or restricted frequency/range. perhaps that is the direction I need to go.
There are a variety of free tone generators available.

Attachments

• Tone Generators.png
    Tone Generators.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 72
Connecting it to the tweeter connection of any crossover should be fine for functional testing, as you're just making sure there's not too much low-frequency signal going into the tweeter.

You could just use an appropriately sized capacitor as well, in the range of 1uF to 10uF. Look up the formula for capacitive reactance and solve for the frequency of the cap value where its reactance is the impedance of your tweeter, and you have the capacitor's -3dB rolloff frequency. Alternatively, solve for capacitance for the desired rolloff frequency, and get a capacitor of that value.

If you're connecting a tweeter directly to an amplifier that has a "known frequency" on it you may be okay, but I like a crossover or cap between the amp and speaker to prevent possible bumps from possibly overloading and damaging the tweeter.

For a tone generator you might go for Audacity that also has recording and playback functions, or perhaps you already have such recording software. If it's half as featureful as Audacity, it probably has tone generation functions. I mainly mention this because I'd rather have a few bigger apps that have all the features I want rather than having many small single-feature apps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.