• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New tube project done in a BIG way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some parts I've gathered together for my next tube project. Gee.... let me think.....maybe a headphone amp :D yea a 250 watt RMS headphone amp.:bulb:

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 903
Well as a RF transmitter, it ranges 1.7Kw or less depending on the range of plate voltage of 7500v or less. Tube life estimates of about 30 years at plate voltages of 5KV running 1.5kw. As an audio amp tube, it can run 200-250 RMS for a single tube. Filament transformer alone runs 7.5V @ 21A. That's the reason for a air cooling socket, chimney, and heat cap.

Hi wardsweb,

look, I have almost the same tube as You (Siemens RS1091N75).

It`s a defective part from an induction dental melting machine. I took a look inside when the service technician changed the tube and some other parts in the machine .... a really scary piece of high power apparatus!.

They wanted to trash the tube but I found it`s a pity about this nice piece and I took it home and made a lamp out of it.:idea:

Attachments

• huge_tube_lamp.jpg
    huge_tube_lamp.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 726
Tim,

I was amazed when you said you didn’t do RF. The way you know tubes I always assumed you had some big ham radio background.
(not that there needs to be a correlation, its just that your knowledge seems to go beyond audio)
- Dave

(obviously Ive already overstepped my valve IQ)

I know a little about it. Mostly picked up from various books such as some 70s-era ARRL Radio Ameteur's Handbooks. Haven't tried building anything yet though, besides the Theremin, which isn't for radio (although a cool project!).

I'm just a quick learner and I love tubes...

Da5id4Vz said:
(obviously Ive already overstepped my valve IQ)

That's ok.. better than your failed Turing test :D

Oh, and thanks BTW! :)

Tim

Plate Dissipation (Max.) 10,000 Watts
Screen Dissipation (Max.) --- Watts
Grid Dissipation (Max.) 500 Watts
Frequency for Max. rating (CW) 160 MHz
Amplification Factor 200
Filament/Cathode Thoriated Tungsten
Voltage
Current 7.5 Volts
99.0 Amps
Capacitance Grounded Cathode
Input
Output
Feedthrough 59.0 pf
36.0 pf
0.2 pf
Capacitance Grounded Grid
Input
Output
Feedthrough 59.0 pf
0.2 pf
36 pf
Cooling Forced Air
Base Coaxial
Air Socket SK-1300
Air Chimney SK-1306
Boiler ---
Length 8.75 in;222.20 mm
Diameter 7.05 in; 179.10 mm
Weight 12.0 lb; 5.5 kg

Geez Guys

Brings back memories/nightmares of my days at TX station ZUD , all them "horrid" bottles and cans that occasionally needed to be replaced at night during a thunderstorm with lighting to make you turn GHOST , dancing up and down the feeder wires inside the TX Hall like large green/blue fireballs just waiting to find the Lighting gap/shorting straps as you walk past.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There was one particular TX that was prone to direct hits , a Collins 45KW using I think 4 off 4 CX5000 in pppl , grounded grid and -700V cathode in which all the ceramic spacers were turned into what looked like an explosion of glass , not to mention the rest of the damage to months to repair.:hot: :hot: :hot:
I loved those little 4CX250s' though , used as drivers or as outputs in lower power TX's (1KW)

I think we also used something like 4CX350's in the Siemens and Telefuncken TXs' probably as drivers for the final stage but thats a bit far back.(memory vague)

Also the first ever 10KV solid state rectifier bridge (cant remember how many devices there were) go up in smoke the first time it was used in service. (Siemens TX) .Apparently the TX's came to us direct from RD with no trials at all. had to make bigger better heatsinks and find higher V-rating diodes plus caps etc to rebuild , what a nightmare and that in the early days of Solid state.

regards
keith birss

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.