in-ceiling speaker recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm wiring my house for audio in each room, and want to purchase the best quality / value for money drivers suited for in-ceiling mounting. I'm after reasonable bass and clear mid range / highs but dont expect audiophile quality.

Looking at the regular retail brands (sonance, Niles etc) who look to have decent speakers but at a $$ cost which multiplies very quickly when you have 16 rooms x 2 speakers per room. At the other end of the range is a lot of unbranded (Chinese?) speakers which although cheaper the quality looks dubious.

Obviously the proof is in the listening, so has anyone done any listening tests to drivers that could be recommeded for in-ceiling mounting? I'm thinking a good quality 8 ohm coax driver would be ideal and purchase a grill separately. Alternatively a car audio speaker could be used but their quality & application for in-ceiling use (4 ohms) has me wondering...

Here in Australia a driver manufacturer called Redback make a number of drivers used for in-ceiling use (altronics), has anyone checked out the quality of these drivers? Maybe a tangband model would suit, TB is popular on this forum for its quality & value.

Any other bright ideas about how I can get decent quality sound from in-ceiling without having to pay the earth?

Regards,
Dean

Thanks guys.

The paradigm speaker range looks good but not readily available in Australia at reasonable prices. The Tannoys will blow my budget too. I was sort of hoping someone had found a more generic brand that surprises with its quality (like the Tang Band has in this forum).

Has anyone looked at the Neotech inwall speakers, or the Avico range?

Thanks,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.