add spdif input to player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What??? That makes no sense.
The external SPDIF signal it is what it is. The 44.1 or 48 or 96kHz sample rates are what they are. It doesn't matter what is the clock that is planted in the player - the existing dividers take care of that.
DIR9001 or CS8416 don't need any external xtals or clocks, they don't care how the signal was created.
I was hoping for a small pcb already somewhere available commercial or diy.
Look into this:
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/cs8416mux.aspx

Last edited:
So if the main clock is derived from a 27MHz you cannot use a SPDIF receiver?
You imply that somehow that 27MHz changes the samplerate of the signals that arrive to the DAC? Really, what has to do the 27MHz video clock with the problem posted? A chip like SM8707 generates all the clocks in a regular DVD player.
Anyway what I am suggesting does NOT require any connection to the original clock. The i2s derived from the SPDIF receiver needs to be completelly switched (all the signals) at the DAC input.

Last edited:
So if the main clock is derived from a 27MHz you cannot use a SPDIF receiver?

Nope, that's not what I said. Just said its not so easy.

You imply that somehow that 27MHz changes the samplerate of the signals that arrive to the DAC? Really, what has to do the 27MHz video clock with the problem posted?

Please explain how you arrived at that in your thinking and I'll explain your faux pas.

A chip like ...

The DVD players I have have no separate chip to do that - its all integrated. On the outside there's just the 27MHz XTAL - to make the DACs play out correctly an SPDIF locked 27MHz would have to be fed in in place of the XTAL. On my super-cheap players there's no way to get data in to the DACs as they're on the single chip solution too. I do have a Pioneer DVD player with separate BB DAC chips though.

The DVD players that we are talking here are those that OP considered "worth modding" - for me those are the ones that have DEDICATED DAC's, with exposed i2s lines.
I don't see how did you even consider that we are talking about injecting SPDIF in a single-chip 25$ player.
Read posts 2 and 3...

PS: All my DVD players have dedicated DAC chips. Even the quasi non-name chinese ones below (Neu-neu, Apex, Toshiba). Maybe because I don't buy garbage?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Picture 042_crop.jpg
    Picture 042_crop.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3189_crop.JPG
    IMG_3189_crop.JPG
    554.1 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
The DVD players that we are talking here are those that worth modding - the ones that have DEDICATED DAC's, with exposed i2s lines.

Fair enough. Its certainly a solution to disconnect all the data, word select and clock lines from the DACs if there are external DACs. Won't give very good performance though because then there are two asynchronous clocks in the system which will likely beat together.

I don't see how did you even consider that we are talking about injecting SPDIF in a single-chip 25$ player.

I was thinking that for someone to do a DIY board for this, they'd have to address the largest possible market with it. Otherwise why bother? DIYing DVD players is already a fairly small niche.

PS: All my DVD players have dedicated DAC chips. Maybe because I don't buy garbage?

Could be. Or it equally could be you're gullible and believe that because the DACs are dedicated therefore it must sound good? Maybe time to smell the coffee :D

For sure they sound better than the garbage that is "all-in-one"... Especially after I replaced the OpAmps in all of them, just as an exercise. And all of them have BB marked on the DAC chip.

OT: My main players are Denon - one of them connected via DLIII to a Denon reciever (all of them modded too).

You need a regular SPDIF receiver (WM8804, DIR9001, etc) to generate the MCLK, BCLK, LRCLK and of course DATA. Intercept the I2S inputs of the DAC and use a switch to comute between the internal signals and the ones generated by the SPDIF receiver.

Looks like the Chineese are making what we want just out-of-box.
WM8804 s PDIF Toslink to IIS Converter I2S Codec Project Integration DIY | eBay
"Sure electronics WM8804 S/PDIF TOSLINK to IIS Converter"

And here comes the question: which lines do I need to commute, all of them (MCLK, BCLK, LRCLK, DOUT, GND, +5V_IN)? Or leave +5V and GND always connected to both CD transport and converter?
Does the order of lines switching important (if I use relay switcher with almost simultaneous switching of all lines, will it not burn the DAC or anything)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.