• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Well Here Goes... K16LS in Dynaco Chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been a member for a while, done some searches, tried to read some and then got stoopid. Bought an SCA-80 Dynaco integrated on fleabay last week and have been studying it since. I built one of these a bazillion years ago but I just followed the directions and it worked. Sonofagun...

Have rarely touched a soldering iron since.

Anywho, after looking it over and hooking it up, the principle conclusions are 1) good thing I only paid $20 and 2) chunk everything but the chassis and faceplate and install an s5 electronics kit in the chassis. I'm leaning towards the well-documented K16LS with some upgrades as I go along.

The chassis itself is on good shape and a little cleaning and black paint will bring the cover back up to snuff. The faceplate needs some work - looks like dried residue from duct tape is all over it. Pix will follow.

To begin, then, two questions:

Will the 6005s be short enough to fit under the hood?

How have folks restored face plates without ruining or erasing the remaining silkscreen lettering?

Thanks in advance for your help. Search isn't doing much for the cleaning question and I've got plenty of reading to do on the K16LS before I order it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.