• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tubes for 87db spendor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a similar thread in speakers area, looking for Spendor’s users.
But I want to ask you all here (as tube’s experts) what do you think about driving a 87db sensitivity speaker (my Spendor s5e) with an integrated tube amplifier…I Know that it dosent sound like the perfect match, but using some solid states (even pre plus power amb.) I usually got this unsatisfying feeling…and I Know that’s because I miss the warmth and richness of tubes.

So the question is:
Does anybody experienced Spendor with tubes?

I have Spendor SP1/2es which work very well with no feedback PP triode EL34s and pretty well with 300B SETs in a smaller room. I have heard the S5e with tubes but they have a less benign impedance curve than the classic series. They won't mate well with SETs but sound good with 25W or more of PPUL or pentode with negative feedback.

Hi,

Hmmm, kind of depends on how big your room is.

Example: I have a small room (~10'x16'), so 2W/channel is comfortable for that SPL (87dB 2-way is what I use now actually).

Most people can't go wrong with a PP 6V6 or EL84 amps before deciding if they want to go $$$$$ on 300B tubes, or PP KT88's for power or something :)

Cheers!

Thank you both of you. What you said Is more or less what I’ve been told so far:
1. To avoid zero feedback SETs
2. To go for push pull in pentode
3. KT88 is powerful / EL34 is magic
4. Avoid 300B, except specific names like consonance cyberm 100 signature

(you don’t mention any brands…is there any forum policy not to mention names in public?)

But others insist to forget about tube amp cause I’ ll never get the maximum out of my speaker. Only powerful, dynamic electricity of a solid state can give the right energy to my sleepy speaker with the laid back sound

I love spendor but I think you are a little bit optimistic about the combo. The s5e has a strange reactinon in middle and lower frequencies (It sounds boomy and haze) if you don’t feed it with a quality powrful electricity

But even then it sounds better than my elementary English.

:)

You're welcome! :)

There's no problem with mentioning brands. Everyone has a different favorite one, so it's kind of moot sometimes.

I like NOS RCA power tubes for the most part (Sylvania is my #2 choice) and trusted colleagues recommend JJ for new tubes.

SET is fine, but there's nothing wrong with a little NFB for control. IMO, the 300B is rediculously over rated. Trioded pentodes (including many TV sweep tubes) can give spectacular results.

Cheers!

But others insist to forget about tube amp cause I’ ll never get the maximum out of my speaker. Only powerful, dynamic electricity of a solid state can give the right energy to my sleepy speaker with the laid back sound

IMO, you are overlooking an important option. Use a tubed preamp to feed a high quality SS power amp. It seems your Spendor speakers fall into the large group that sound "best" in combination with a tube/SS hybrid chain of electronics. If you can cope with the expense, acquire a hybrid power amp. A hybrid power amp allows you to keep the reproduction chain "hollow state", end to end, with only the O/P stage being "sand".

Given the DIY orientation of this BBS, I (naturally) suggest you construct the line or full function preamp yourself. There are any number of 12B4 based circuits that will do the line stage job, well.

I tried Vincent sv-236 at home, a hybrid integreated amp, which is much close to your idea of tube preamp and a solid state power end. It’s a very transparent amp but in fact not warm enough for my taste. It creates a huge stage and a powerfull bass. It sounds ideal but it isn’t... In fact spendor has these “monitor” behaviour that means you should match it with neutral first class amp. Vincent had colour. It was emphatic at bass and high frequencies, so the result was somehow noisy…
This is my only experience with a hybrid amp. What you say sounds like a complete suggestion. (that needs money and time to spend)
http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-types/integratedamplifiers/sv-236.html

gas said:
I tried Vincent sv-236 at home, a hybrid integreated amp, which is much close to your idea of tube preamp and a solid state power end. It’s a very transparent amp but in fact not warm enough for my taste. It creates a huge stage and a powerfull bass. It sounds ideal but it isn’t... In fact spendor has these “monitor” behaviour that means you should match it with neutral first class amp. Vincent had colour. It was emphatic at bass and high frequencies, so the result was somehow noisy…
This is my only experience with a hybrid amp. What you say sounds like a complete suggestion. (that needs money and time to spend)
http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-types/integratedamplifiers/sv-236.html

That's exactly why I suggested the 12B4 in the line stage. That or another warm sounding type would be used to control the overall voice of the entire system.

I also suggested a high quality SS power amp. Look at Classe, Bryston, and AVA. They are neutral, without being icy, and will pass what they are fed onto the speakers. If your bank balance can tolerate the "hit", buy an AVA hybrid power amp. As the owner of an earlier FET-Valve amp, I can tell you it sounds VERY nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.