• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

opinions on this p-p kt88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What can i expect fom this desgin as far as sound goes......i havent decided on iron yet, i know that will determine alot. I'm also palnning on using a preamp which uses 6267'a and a 12ax7. What voltage transformer would I need to supply 560 V after rectifcation for he plate voltage? 400-0-400 @300 ma?

Thanks
Jeremy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Eli,

the paraphase topology splitter leaves much to be desired
Looks like a concertina splitter to me. The topology reminds me of a Williamson without the first stage.

Jeremy,

This circuit as it stands will have insufficient gain for line-level input - it definitely needs a preamp with a gain of ~12 dB.

Since there is no negative feedback (not enough gain for it anyway), it will have a low damping factor, quite a bit of distortion, probably a limited bandwidth and gain that will be very dependent on the individual tubes and their ages. Of course, some of that will depend on your OP transformer, as you say, as well as your speakers. I think UL is supposed to benefit from at least some NFB, if only 6 to 10 dB of it, but you'd have to add an input stage on the front to be able to achieve that.

Jeremy,

It seems I was fooled by balance circuitry into thinking the splitter is paraphase. :xeye:

COSTLY, superior, O/P trafos are necessary for both the Williamson and H/K Cit. 2 circuits. Absolutely nothing wrong there, but if cost containment is a factor, DynaClone A431S trafos combined with a Mullard circuit will give you a lot of bang for your buck. If you use the Mullard circuit, put a 12AT7 (for its high gm and low Rp) in the phase splitter "hole".

BTW, the Mullard circuit has gobs of gain. So, a "unity" gain line stage is fine.

Have a look at the 50W 3 stage version in the same book (cathode bias) and if you want 100W....drive the o/p stage in fixed bias at same B+500V and you'll be close in getting 100W at line in voltages and I'll swap the ECC82 driver for 6SN7....the ECC83 front end can be improved.
That version uses global nfb.....the paraphase splitter isn't that bad ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.