• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am fairly ill, catch a cold or something so did not do much. Tried KS wih this setting. The problem stayed the situation is a bit clearer. There is problem only when the track in foobar was changed by "next track" or the play command of the context menu and the sampling frequency has changed too. When the music "flows" from one track to the next that is ok. It seems to me there is some problem with the sampling change (it needs more time) and the dac itself sets the frequency to the default 44k not the windows (?).

The frequency return to 44KHz using KS ?

This weekend I have made some experiment with Windows 8.1 booting from external usb hard disk.
It is very simple create this and you don't need to modify the office computer configuration.
What you think about to skip any Vista problem ?
I think there are no other person with Vista in this thread.
Offcouse I can give you all info about.

Hi Audiodesign,
Optical input ok up to 192kHz, coaxial ok up to 48kHz, bad or no lock from 88 to 192kHz, but i have not a specific spdif cable. I've also tested with a certificated 75ohm satellite cable. Tested with or without 75r cond., also bypassing DA1001, with two different sound card on the same pc.

I see you have tested with and without the input transformer.

I see you have tested with the 75 ohm with and without.

but have you insert the capacitor ?

I see you have tested with and without the input transformer.

I see you have tested with the 75 ohm with and without.

but have you insert the capacitor ?

Yes

Current best setup:

commercial 75ohm video cable with RCA
no transformer
100r to ground (tested also with 75r, 150r and without resistor)
10nf wima + 300pf polystyrene (tested also with 1nf, 100nf and 1uf)

Only with this setup 96khz locked with glitch sometimes, over 96khz no lock.
With other setup up only 48khz locked.

I'm thinking to substitute the lmv7219.

Yes

Current best setup:

commercial 75ohm video cable with RCA
no transformer
100r to ground (tested also with 75r, 150r and without resistor)
10nf wima + 300pf polystyrene (tested also with 1nf, 100nf and 1uf)

Only with this setup 96khz locked with glitch sometimes, over 96khz no lock.
With other setup up only 48khz locked.

I'm thinking to substitute the lmv7219.

I have read someone have used 2uF or 10uF for 192KHz

The frequency return to 44KHz using KS ?

This weekend I have made some experiment with Windows 8.1 booting from external usb hard disk.
It is very simple create this and you don't need to modify the office computer configuration.
What you think about to skip any Vista problem ?
I think there are no other person with Vista in this thread.
Offcouse I can give you all info about.

Yes, when you are playing a track with KS and jump to an other track what has a different sampling frequency the dac plays it on 44k. For ex.: playing on 192k you click "next track" what is 96k the dac plays the second track on 44k. Not a nice listening experience :(.

I can not boot from an other device (prohibited) on my workplace computer (Vista, we are upgrading to W7 in the present days at one of the biggest multi on the world) and I am afraid my own laptop is too old for W8. :( Since I had a nexus 7 I am using that most of the time. I am thinking about buying a screenless, diskless mini pc AFTER the dac starts working. :)

I am afraid my next problem will be the 48k limit on "coax in" too.

Yes, when you are playing a track with KS and jump to an other track what has a different sampling frequency the dac plays it on 44k. For ex.: playing on 192k you click "next track" what is 96k the dac plays the second track on 44k. Not a nice listening experience :(.

I can not boot from an other device (prohibited) on my workplace computer (Vista, we are upgrading to W7 in the present days at one of the biggest multi on the world) and I am afraid my own laptop is too old for W8. :( Since I had a nexus 7 I am using that most of the time. I am thinking about buying a screenless, diskless mini pc AFTER the dac starts working. :)

I am afraid my next problem will be the 48k limit on "coax in" too.

So using ASIO driver this problem is not present, Amonero have no Vista workstation to test it, so you should go to Windows 7.

Windows 8 get less resource of XP and Windows 7 and can boot from external usb disk in few seconds.

I am sure the 48K limit on coax is only a problem of load on not standard sources because I have tested in my house until 96KHz with 3 sources and without any modification.

So using ASIO driver this problem is not present, Amonero have no Vista workstation to test it, so you should go to Windows 7.

Windows 8 get less resource of XP and Windows 7 and can boot from external usb disk in few seconds.

I am sure the 48K limit on coax is only a problem of load on not standard sources because I have tested in my house until 96KHz with 3 sources and without any modification.

If you told w8 needs less resources than Vista I would try it. How can I do this without a licence ? You thought the cause is Vista I am not sure about it, so the test would be interesting.

I do not want to go to w7 because it is more money than my laptop worths.

About the 48k limit, I hardly can imagine more 75 ohms than a 20 cms 75 ohms tv-coax between two da101c-s - maybe I am not right.

I have read someone have used 2uF or 10uF for 192KHz

yes, I tried now this solution, locked until 96khz.

Andrea,
after many hours spent in the last few days to try out the various solutions, that's enough.
Next Saturday will bring the dac in a recording studio to try the AES / EBU and SPDIF.
I hope to find that electrical inputs of the DAC work fine up to 192kHz.

Thanks

You can set the startup Volume, see guide

It's OK now, thank you. BTW, I have a strange problem. Whenever I use the remote for my air conditioner, the DAC output become distorted with lots of pops which I'm afraid could break the speaker. The solution is very simple, turn on AC before the DAC ;) perhaps I need to upgrade my AC into audiophile grade AC hahaha

After 12 hours, the sound is getting better.

yes, I tried now this solution, locked until 96khz.

Andrea,
after many hours spent in the last few days to try out the various solutions, that's enough.
Next Saturday will bring the dac in a recording studio to try the AES / EBU and SPDIF.
I hope to find that electrical inputs of the DAC work fine up to 192kHz.

Thanks

Also for AES / EBU should be better add the capacitor after the input transformer.

Guide

The save function store input, filter configuration and volume on PIC non-volatile memory.

Attachments

• RemoteGuide_ver2.gif
    RemoteGuide_ver2.gif
    67.4 KB · Views: 298
Quanghao... I am looking to build a tuber buffer with a DAC, 32 bit and USB. The tube buffer will be from a supplier in China who is offering their version on the X10d Tube buffer. The one I am looking at is on a red board. The tuber buffer will be in the same case as the DAC but not connected and totally passive. I would like to have a single momentary switch to select SPDIF, Optical and USB inputs with LED displays. I was looking at one supplier that had a USB DAC on a yellow board with 3 LEDs showing USB, Optical and SPDIF on a board connected by a flat cable. Do you have anything like this or what would you recommend. Also I will be driving the buffer and DAC on separate triodial transformers. This is the board I was looking at for the DAC http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...oder-finished-board-usb-input/1297634764.html. The X10D buffer is this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...er-kit-include-2-X-6N11-tubes/1121382297.html

Merrisa

Last edited:
Quanghao... I am looking to build a tuber buffer with a DAC, 32 bit and USB. The tube buffer will be from a supplier in China who is offering their version on the X10d Tube buffer. The one I am looking at is on a red board. The tuber buffer will be in the same case as the DAC but not connected and totally passive. I would like to have a single momentary switch to select SPDIF, Optical and USB inputs with LED displays. I was looking at one supplier that had a USB DAC on a yellow board with 3 LEDs showing USB, Optical and SPDIF on a board connected by a flat cable. Do you have anything like this or what would you recommend. Also I will be driving the buffer and DAC on separate triodial transformers. This is the board I was looking at for the DAC Free Shipping! 1pc 24bit192K CS8416 + parallel dual WM8741 * 2 DAC decoder finished board usb input-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com. The X10D buffer is this one New version X 10D preamplifier kit (include 2 X 6N11 tubes)-in Integrated Circuits from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
Merrisa

The ES9018 DAC chip for each channel have a differential output so it is necessary a differential stage to create an un-balanced output to connect to your vacuum tube buffer.

You could use a single op-amp like show in my post #1859.

If you want to use a pure vacuum tube differential stage see my design on:
ES9018 USB DAC - Hi-Resolution System*

No problem to switch the 3 spdif sources (coax, toslink and aes/ebu) with a relay and led.

I think I have caused some confusion.... I want the tube buffer to be a completely unconnected circuit to the dac. The buffer and dac will share the same case but have separate input and out puts. Only the pre out of the amp and main in on the amp will be connected to the buffer.

The DAC will only be connected to the Aux of the amp and whatever source I connect to it.

Basically stand alone circuits just sharing the same chassis. Both will have their own transformers and power supplies as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.