• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The best preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
This is a design I did in 5 years!
It has been many favorite friend. Especially in 2011 I have improved dramatically! To me this is my best pre tube using 6H30Pi or 6Dj8 ...
I opened the topic here, because this is the place to discuss all matters of Audio uses tube!

Sounds very realistic detail, balance!

Attachments

• PRE818--2011.jpg
    PRE818--2011.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3,286
Last edited:
OK, so no measurement or calculation, just assertion from the seller.

Using a more conventional engineering approach, one should expect 120-150pF, maybe somewhat more, depending on strays from wiring (which can be considerable with four paralleled sections) and how optimistic the datasheets are.

OK, so no measurement or calculation, just assertion from the seller.

Using a more conventional engineering approach, one should expect 120-150pF, maybe somewhat more, depending on strays from wiring (which can be considerable with four paralleled sections) and how optimistic the datasheets are.

Yes!
This design is not the same as datasheets, as you've seen before I like to use datasheets, each tube 6.30 40mA using bias, Pre almost like a power amplifier.
Sounds very, very hard and expensive electricity too!

you can use 120-150pF , if you like it! or not use the value or me!

Does the OP mean that his anode-grid capacitor is 10pF? If so, that means Miller capacitance of around 500pF at the input, when the valve capacitance is included too. To get a -3dB point at 20kHz requires 16k source impedance, so volume pot must be less than 64k. A 50k pot would give -3dB at 25.5kHz at mid setting, and better at higher or lower volume.

Feasible, but I am not a great fan of circuits which significantly vary their frequency response with volume setting. This could, however, in the hands of a journalist or saleman be called a positive feature as the sound could come into 'focus' at certain settings, this demonstrating the 'fine discrimination' of the poorly designed equipment.

For 6N30P: Cgk=6.3pF, Cga = 6.0pF
Given circuit gain = 21 dB, A = 11.2
Miller capacitance: 11.2 x 6.0 pF = 67.2 pF (for one tube)
Input capacitance: Miller + Cgk + strays (say, 5 pF) = 78.5 pF (for one tube)
Total Cin for two tubes = 157 pF
Source inpedance = 47 k, ---> f(-3dB) = 21.5 kHz

Does anyone agree ?

Don't forget the 10pF cap he added. He has four triodes in parallel. I used voltage gain of 30 (valve mu), as it didn't occur to me that he might be deliberately running them into a low anode load to get extra distortion. Anyway, we are still talking about 100's of pF so the line stage input C could exceed likely cable C.

The source impedance is likely to be lower than 47k. Even a bad source will have an impedance not much above a few k, and then a 100k volume pot will give a maximum source impedance just above 25k.

For 6N30P: Cgk=6.3pF, Cga = 6.0pF
Given circuit gain = 21 dB, A = 11.2
Miller capacitance: 11.2 x 6.0 pF = 67.2 pF (for one tube)
Input capacitance: Miller + Cgk + strays (say, 5 pF) = 78.5 pF (for one tube)
Total Cin for two tubes = 157 pF
Source inpedance = 47 k, ---> f(-3dB) = 21.5 kHz

Does anyone agree ?

Almost !

You've just forgoten the "magical" deliberatly added 10pF that makes this preamp "the best" :rolleyes:

Here is "The Better Preamplifier Of The Whole Know And Unknow Universe" :

Pre0.gif

:hohoho:

Yves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.