DAC-END The best DAC AD1865- UPDAT 2011 - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Quanghao Audio Design

Quanghao Audio Design Quanghao Audio Design is a producer of DIY Audiophile Kits and PCB boards, selected from many listening tests!

Old 2nd July 2013, 10:30 AM   #191
fsrjd3 is offline fsrjd3  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Dac End

Hi,
Ive just completed a comparison of the your Dac End and the dCS setup. I had Russian Teflon output capacitors and Jensen in Dac End and had it set up so I could switch between them. They were very similar but I think I preferred the Jensen. The other listener preferred the Russian Teflon caps.

The The dCS Verdi transport was used for both tests.

Again the sound of the dCS with Verona Master clock and Purcell Upsampler and Elgar Dac was indistinguishable from the Dac End. I may have preferred the dCS setup but the other listener preferred the Dac End. I would not have been able to pick one over the other in a blind AB comparison

The dCS setup is made in the UK but was Stereophile no 1 rated digital component for a number of years and according to them sold as new for $41000. It was superceded by later and more expensive dCS products.

Neither system sounded as good as my vinyl so even when you pay $41,000 a much less expensive vinyl setup will sound better.

I expect I will now sell my dCS system and keep the Dac End. Hopefully anyone reading this review will not be a prospective buyer.

I did the comparison using Stax headphones rather than amps and speakers as I think they are more detailed,

I would like do do a comparison using the Lundahl LL1660AM amopphous core output transformers. I would be curious to see if the Dac End would then outperform the dCS

Ronan Daly
Old 25th September 2013, 08:45 AM   #192
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to quanghao
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrjd3 View Post
Hi,
Ive just completed a comparison of the your Dac End and the dCS setup. I had Russian Teflon output capacitors and Jensen in Dac End and had it set up so I could switch between them. They were very similar but I think I preferred the Jensen. The other listener preferred the Russian Teflon caps.

The The dCS Verdi transport was used for both tests.

Again the sound of the dCS with Verona Master clock and Purcell Upsampler and Elgar Dac was indistinguishable from the Dac End. I may have preferred the dCS setup but the other listener preferred the Dac End. I would not have been able to pick one over the other in a blind AB comparison

The dCS setup is made in the UK but was Stereophile no 1 rated digital component for a number of years and according to them sold as new for $41000. It was superceded by later and more expensive dCS products.

Neither system sounded as good as my vinyl so even when you pay $41,000 a much less expensive vinyl setup will sound better.

I expect I will now sell my dCS system and keep the Dac End. Hopefully anyone reading this review will not be a prospective buyer.

I did the comparison using Stax headphones rather than amps and speakers as I think they are more detailed,

I would like do do a comparison using the Lundahl LL1660AM amopphous core output transformers. I would be curious to see if the Dac End would then outperform the dCS

Ronan Daly
thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 11:05 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

I just bought an AD1865 Dac-End3 kit from an other user. It is almost all assembled, configured for the 6H30 tube.

One question, Do I still need to install the 120uH inductor at the dac output, or I can feed the dac directly into the Tueb IV stage, keeping the Caddock IV resistor on the DAC PCB naturally.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB_Kit_Received 2014.JPG (173.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 20th August 2014, 06:14 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Hi, Algar!

Here you can find the basic circuitry: http://audiodesignguide.com/DACend2/index.html

With your I/V stage inductors should be soldered in.

Daniil
Old 20th August 2014, 07:38 AM   #195
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Anyone have a Digikey number for the 10w Heatsinks used on the I/V board?
Old 20th August 2014, 07:59 AM   #196
rol is offline rol
diyAudio Member

This is the one used in I/V:
Invalid Request
Old 20th August 2014, 10:05 AM   #197
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
Old 21st August 2014, 02:39 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

These are the ones on mine, from Mouser: 588-FA-T220-51E

Thanks danielkol but my pcb are the latest version, DAC and Tube IV date 31/5/2011. The DAC shunt and DAC layout are different. The IV PCB layout is different as well. I have the correct schematics, but not the exact pcb silkscreen. I should be ok. I was just wondering about these inductors. I'll post my complete Excel parts file if anyone interested, it is kind of an old thread.

Last edited by Algar_emi; 21st August 2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 21st August 2014, 12:47 PM   #199
frd__ is offline frd__  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
I was just wondering about these inductors.
Try both options: without and with the inductors and decide which one sounds better to your ears. I remember I was trying that for a number of weeks until I finally decided do stay with the inductors.
Old 21st August 2014, 11:11 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

I will, here my Parts List
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AD1865 Dac_Parts_List_small.pdf (18.0 KB, 2 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!