• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END The best DAC AD1865- UPDAT 2011

I've learned a lot from this DAC!
Thank you very much, people were cheering for me complete this DAC 32!

Attachments

• dCS-1.jpg
    dCS-1.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 987
  • dCS-2.jpg
    dCS-2.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 940
  • dCS-3.jpg
    dCS-3.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 931
Hi, Quanghao!
Did you try 6H30 valve in this board?
Yesterday I tried to change 5687 to 6H30, so, I revired all jumpers and filaments to get 6.3v, P - 90v.
This resulted in noise and tube ringing during turn on.
Could you suggest what to do?

please check all Jum and the transformer for it,

filaments 6h30 need min 2A for 6.3V

60h30 will sound more balanced, and more preferably 5687.
thanks

Dac End

Hi,
I’ve just completed a comparison of the your Dac End and the dCS setup. I had Russian Teflon output capacitors and Jensen in Dac End and had it set up so I could switch between them. They were very similar but I think I preferred the Jensen. The other listener preferred the Russian Teflon caps.

The The dCS Verdi transport was used for both tests.

Again the sound of the dCS with Verona Master clock and Purcell Upsampler and Elgar Dac was indistinguishable from the Dac End. I may have preferred the dCS setup but the other listener preferred the Dac End. I would not have been able to pick one over the other in a blind AB comparison

The dCS setup is made in the UK but was Stereophile no 1 rated digital component for a number of years and according to them sold as new for $41000. It was superceded by later and more expensive dCS products.

Neither system sounded as good as my vinyl so even when you pay $41,000 a much less expensive vinyl setup will sound better.

I expect I will now sell my dCS system and keep the Dac End. Hopefully anyone reading this review will not be a prospective buyer.

I did the comparison using Stax headphones rather than amps and speakers as I think they are more detailed,

I would like do do a comparison using the Lundahl LL1660AM amopphous core output transformers. I would be curious to see if the Dac End would then outperform the dCS

Ronan Daly

Hi,
I’ve just completed a comparison of the your Dac End and the dCS setup. I had Russian Teflon output capacitors and Jensen in Dac End and had it set up so I could switch between them. They were very similar but I think I preferred the Jensen. The other listener preferred the Russian Teflon caps.

The The dCS Verdi transport was used for both tests.

Again the sound of the dCS with Verona Master clock and Purcell Upsampler and Elgar Dac was indistinguishable from the Dac End. I may have preferred the dCS setup but the other listener preferred the Dac End. I would not have been able to pick one over the other in a blind AB comparison

The dCS setup is made in the UK but was Stereophile no 1 rated digital component for a number of years and according to them sold as new for $41000. It was superceded by later and more expensive dCS products.

Neither system sounded as good as my vinyl so even when you pay $41,000 a much less expensive vinyl setup will sound better.

I expect I will now sell my dCS system and keep the Dac End. Hopefully anyone reading this review will not be a prospective buyer.

I did the comparison using Stax headphones rather than amps and speakers as I think they are more detailed,

I would like do do a comparison using the Lundahl LL1660AM amopphous core output transformers. I would be curious to see if the Dac End would then outperform the dCS

Ronan Daly

thanks

I just bought an AD1865 Dac-End3 kit from an other user. It is almost all assembled, configured for the 6H30 tube.

One question, Do I still need to install the 120uH inductor at the dac output, or I can feed the dac directly into the Tueb IV stage, keeping the Caddock IV resistor on the DAC PCB naturally.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• SB_Kit_Received 2014.JPG
    SB_Kit_Received 2014.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 606
These are the ones on mine, from Mouser: 588-FA-T220-51E

Thanks danielkol but my pcb are the latest version, DAC and Tube IV date 31/5/2011. The DAC shunt and DAC layout are different. The IV PCB layout is different as well. I have the correct schematics, but not the exact pcb silkscreen. I should be ok. I was just wondering about these inductors. I'll post my complete Excel parts file if anyone interested, it is kind of an old thread.

Last edited: