• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This sounds like a low voltage reg question I suppose. Check output Mosfet's VGS at you max. If its not circa 4V, then your current is robbed by the TL431s and you need even lower Rset as I have learned reading this thread. If it is alone it works anyway. What value of resistor you got as Rset now?

Salas,

I still do not manage to bring the voltages more than 5.2 V for the positive and 5.1 V for the negatives. I think that my leds have a ref voltages too high. Could it be ? Which one can I try to replace to make a test ?

Thanks,

Davide

My measurements may be of help to you:

All LED's sag about 1.91volt - 1.92 volt each
All 2SK170BL's Idss = about 6.5mA
AC voltage in = 10 volt by multimeter

Use 24R 1W for +ve and -ve rail of analogue supply, voltage easily adjusted to 5.6 volt and doesn't sag with load.
Positive rail voltage across 24R=2.104 volt, CCS is about 87.7 mA
Negative rail voltage across 24R=2.056 volt, CCS is about 85.7 mA. So I add a 1K in parallel with the 24R to make the CCS more like 87.7 mA

Use 2x24R in parallel for the +5V digital supply, voltage easily adjusted to 5.6 volt without load (at 166.6 mA output already) but sags to 5.32 volts with load. :confused:
Voltage across 12R = 1.999 volts, CCS is about 166.6 mA

All voltage measurement after TL431 for the IC's consumption are fine and about 5 Volt.

Last edited:
Goob Job Housing! :cool: That's looking great. Where did you buy your chasis? and how much did it cost you? What tubes are you planning to use?

I got it from a local diy shop selling only boutique parts. It costs me about USD71, all aluminium, with ventilating slots throughout the top cover.

I'll be using a pair of 5687, Jan Sylvania, said to be matched from a US dealer on eBay.

I did some measurements:

Regulator #1:
Rset = 8.2 ohm
Vgs = 4 V
Vout = 5.241

Regulator #2:
Rset = 27 ohm
Vgs = 3.8 V
Vout = 5.232 V

Regulator #3(Negative):
Rset = 27 ohm
Vgs = 3.4 V
Vout = 5.11 V

I do not have any drop with load attached.

I have average 1.85 V drop across the leds.

If this is fine, I am happy. The unit works perfectly, it is dead silent. (With not music :) )

Best Regards,

Davide

I am doing some experiment with the CCS and led. I did not listen to it yet.

Some pictures.

I use a DN2450 with a 1.5 K set resistor, to set current to 15 mA per channel.

I have 3.4 V on the cathodes (matched). It should not really matter with the CCS. Is it correct ?

D.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 413
I am doing some experiment with the CCS and led. I did not listen to it yet.

Some pictures.

I use a DN2450 with a 1.5 K set resistor, to set current to 15 mA per channel.

I have 3.4 V on the cathodes (matched). It should not really matter with the CCS. Is it correct ?

D.

With a CCS it becomes more critical for tubes to be matched. You may want to play 1khz test tones at 0dbs and measure the output with your dmm to ensure both channels put out the same voltage. Thats the only thing I would worry about.

I did some measurements:

Regulator #1:
Rset = 8.2 ohm
Vgs = 4 V
Vout = 5.241

Regulator #2:
Rset = 27 ohm
Vgs = 3.8 V
Vout = 5.232 V

Regulator #3(Negative):
Rset = 27 ohm
Vgs = 3.4 V
Vout = 5.11 V

I do not have any drop with load attached.

I have average 1.85 V drop across the leds.

If this is fine, I am happy. The unit works perfectly, it is dead silent. (With not music :) )

Best Regards,

Davide

Hi Davide,

I know that there's a lot of TL431 on Mouser's list but can you let me know what TL431 did you use? Is it a Texas instrument or On Semi? Do you have a part number.

I think the TL431 are the one causing this issues for the shunt regulator to function properly. The reason I ask is because, you have the most successful shunt reg working properly, even with the load connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.