• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I desperately need a CS8414 on DIP. I bought one from ebay, being told it was soldered, which it wasn't to the converter board.
I attempted to solder it myself, but wrecked the tracks as i have no patience.
Can anyone recommend me a place, or even solder another up for me?

Thanks

Contact Spencer who is a diyaudio member selling the D1 clone board here. He may have some CS8414 for sale.
http://www.fetaudio.com/

It will be a while longer before I start building up my DAC-END2 as I have a few other projects that I need to finish. I have already bought and plan to use the Sowter 9762 transformers. I also have my own tube output board I'll be using with a CCS loaded 6H30p-DR. The tranformer will go directly after the 220R I/V, and the out put stage just after the transformer.

here's the link:
Sowter Transformer 9762 DAC INTERFACE  FOR AD1865N-J

Jeff Davison

with LED bias and CCS i am very pleased with the sound... its natural yet detailed.

CSS has been removed temporarily as i need to work out better heatsinking, or just put a big resistor with the B+ to drop it to 180v or thereabouts.

without the CSS i think it actually suits my fullrange speakers better, a little more warmth and less detail but it doesnt suit my 3way speakers as much (which to be honest arent that good speakers anyway).

the best improvement was the LED bias, it suprised me to be honest!

What voltage should i aim for on the salas, and the digi and analog?
I have 5.16v at the moment on every part of the salas, thats when the dac board is on but no cs8414 or ad chip.
Across the 431 i get 5.01 on both the analog + and - and the digi.
Is 5.01 ok? Should i raise the 5.16v?

yes, go for 5.5 to 5.6, you want to give the tl431 a bit of an overhead.

Cool, thanks.

EDIT: Right just turned them up. Max i get on digi is 5.19 on load on salas, which gives me 5.01 still after 431.
On 5 analog i get 5.29, then after 431 i get 5.02.
On -5 analog i get 5.59, the after 431 i get 5.02.

Why the low figures for the +'vs?
This is with the dac on as i said, without the cs and ad though,

Last edited:
EDIT: Right just turned them up. Max i get on digi is 5.19 on load on salas, which gives me 5.01 still after 431.

This is with the dac on as i said, without the cs and ad though,[/QUOTE]

Because I need the security of the chip, so for low voltage

Cool, thanks.

This is with the dac on as i said, without the cs and ad though,

same for me if you read back, infact exactly the same on the 5+v dig.

At 'max' the salas board is not regulating, the final mosfet isnt doing anything. its not ideal, but increase parallel another 27r with the rset resistors which will increase the 5.19 to 5.3 ish... then back off a little to ensure regulation. The tl431 doesnt need much headroom unless my scope is lying.

Salas, i had a play with the dig line. when the shunt reg 'maxes out' the vgs goes to zero on the final mosfet. back off a little and it comes up to 4v or there abouts. any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.