• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i wonder if i have something wrong in the dac section, or if one of the chips is bad. I can easily set the voltage without the dac stage, connect it and it drops one wont budge past 5.16.

I have a couple of high idss 170sk's so i can try that the 2sk170s were matched at 7ma idss. first i will pull the dac chips and see. As i said though, its sounds great and nothing is getting hot, so maybe you are right, its just coming up short.

thanks salas. i may try it at some point.

quanghao or audio design, I cant adjust the 5v digital 5+ over 5.16v, even with increased current (27 ohms)

nothing is getting hot, and the tl431 is regulating to 5v and the dac sounds good.

do you experience the same or do i need to debug?

Hi! The Salas shunt low is exelent, and the PCb is not wrong, it is easy adjust V-out, now you can adjust to 5.6V.
After R 10 Ohm and Tl 431 lost about 0.3-0.5V.

You can check abut the 2 LED and Trimer

thanks salas. i may try it at some point.

quanghao or audio design, I cant adjust the 5v digital 5+ over 5.16v, even with increased current (27 ohms)

nothing is getting hot, and the tl431 is regulating to 5v and the dac sounds good.

do you experience the same or do i need to debug?

Hi! Admus. about the Salas shunt and the set curent for DAC you can see in the my image!

Attachments

• ad.jpg
    ad.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 408
A simple mod with this could be to ditch the 47k resistors and build a simple cascode CSS with led ref (keeping the bias scheme). That would flatten the load line and probably reduce distortion a little (although its only 0.2% anyway! we arent swinging much voltage anyway, so i really am being picky i think. It would increase the gain too, which probably isnt wanted.

About the IV 5687. Andrea has mesure many the value or R Anod, so we are like 47K paralle.

About the Cascode with 2 led gree you can try to it, but i dont like the sound when use led.

you can try remove C by bass, I think you like sound .

well... its been playing music all morning.

the dac-end clearly has potential. its very natural sounding, superb top end (maybe slightly rolled off? not sure but its definately sweet with no hint of
The dacend will satisfy my tweaking needs more. I already can see the potential for a 6n6p ouput stage, gyrator or CSS loaded, led biased. i do love the 6n6p.

I love 6h6pi and 6h30pi, i have been to design cricuit of use parallel 6h6 and 6h30 few year ago. I make many PCB for my friend, they was like them.
The sound is excellent, I love them. the and new pre818 I use 2 tube 6h30 or 6h6 parallel.

In this circuit, you can try do most for IV stage if you like it.
6h30 is better than 6h6.

Attachments

• PRE818-6H6-AND-6H30.jpg
    PRE818-6H6-AND-6H30.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 401
I love 6h6pi and 6h30pi, i have been to design cricuit of use parallel 6h6 and 6h30 few year ago. I make many PCB for my friend, they was like them.
The sound is excellent, I love them. the and new pre818 I use 2 tube 6h30 or 6h6 parallel.

In this circuit, you can try do most for IV stage if you like it.
6h30 is better than 6h6.

quanghao

Do you still have this I/V boards for the 6H6P ?

at some point i am going to try this, or something very similar. A more modern twist on the iv stage.

Thats a very quick sketch up so probably many errors but the basic approach should be readable.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the 6n6p has 800ma heater current so a similar load to the 5687 so the PS could remain as it is.

Rset should be for 30ma, as its a paralellel arrangement. I would try it with just one side of the triode first to be honest.

Last edited:
yes, it meant to say 1uf, as i said, its sketchup so many mistakes, and rather vital resistor values missing. I'll do some work on it when i get chance and perfboard it.

I have found an improvement with CSS. You do loose some of that romantic 'tube sound' as distortion drops significntly.

yes, it meant to say 1uf, as i said, its sketchup so
I have found an improvement with CSS. You do loose some of that romantic 'tube sound' as distortion drops significntly.

Yes I know it, CCS is very good with some kind of tube, but I really do not like CCS for 6h6 and 6h30 at anod.
The sound of it is skewed, not natural.
I agree with you about using LED instead of the resistance

Last edited:
Salas.

I am testing the shut reg for the +5 dig that wont go above 5.16.

Leds are dropping 3.92v and the trimmer is dropping 0.75v at 161 ohms. combined vref of 4.67

I through trimmer = 0.75/161 = 4.6ama, which seems low for the jfet (originally matched at 7ma idss @10v.

Strnage thing is, the trimmer has more turns left, but it doesnt affect the voltage.

any thoughts from the wizards?

Last edited:
Salas.

I am testing the shut reg for the +5 dig that wont go above 5.16.

Leds are dropping 3.92v and the trimmer is dropping 0.75v at 200 ohms. combined vref of 4.67

I through trimmer = 0.75/200 = 3.7ma, which seems very low for the jfet (originally matched at 7ma idss @10v.

Does this point to my problem?

Do you seen my post 885????

You can to not connect to board DAC. what is the happen??

board not connect i can set the voltage to 5.5 volts without problem.

Connect the board and the voltage drops to 5.16 max. its plays mucis very well, but something must be slightly wrong

Salas works well, not in it,
probably Board DAC have something wrong place, you can check please!

if you are in doubt about this?
so the voltage you measured at the foot of Cs8414 and 74hc04 is like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.