• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OLD THREAD DAC End by Andrea Ciuffoli

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just spoke to O-netics. Here's the break down.

There are two potential versions.

$60 ea buys a unit with 8kg of gauss in the core, a copper sheet over the windings and adjacent core and coil wire leads, out some 6 inches from the coil for the secondary. Another $12 buys flexible pvc leads 15 inches out of the coil.

Another possibility is a 9.3kg core flux with M6 core band suppressor added to the copper suppressor and end bells and channel frames also. We built these for Mackie Designs for years to replace a toroid in a confined space, due to noise issues. $90 buys this unit with 15 inch pvc leads on all coils.

Both versions are to be built to CE 6500 standards and will exhibit 1.2% no load to full load regulation. 50 Hz models can be had for the same prices, but the flux will be 10% higher. As a measure of stray field available, the Mackie designed unit had a core flux of 16 kg and was superior to the toroid by some 30db in stray field suppression.

I just spoke to O-netics. Here's the break down.

There are two potential versions.

$60 ea buys a unit with 8kg of gauss in the core, a copper sheet over the windings and adjacent core and coil wire leads, out some 6 inches from the coil for the secondary. Another $12 buys flexible pvc leads 15 inches out of the coil.

Another possibility is a 9.3kg core flux with M6 core band suppressor added to the copper suppressor and end bells and channel frames also. We built these for Mackie Designs for years to replace a toroid in a confined space, due to noise issues. $90 buys this unit with 15 inch pvc leads on all coils.

Both versions are to be built to CE 6500 standards and will exhibit 1.2% no load to full load regulation. 50 Hz models can be had for the same prices, but the flux will be 10% higher. As a measure of stray field available, the Mackie designed unit had a core flux of 16 kg and was superior to the toroid by some 30db in stray field suppression.

So does this transformer have all the required outputs or just the tube side? Would this be considered a better option then an R-Core transformer?

If it's an all in one solution I would definitely be interested!

Who's your contact at O-netics and who should we say referred us so he knows which transformer specs we are referring to?

Thanks for help!

Last edited:
So does this transformer have all the required outputs or just the tube side? Would this be considered a better option then an R-Core transformer?

If it's an all in one solution I would definitely be interested!

Who's your contact at O-netics and who should we say referred us so he knows which transformer specs we are referring to?

Thanks for help!

I know that the tranies of O-netics are highly recommended, lot of people use them em very high quality amps (one expl. the Karna amp of Lynn Olson-I love that amp).
A one in all trany have the vantage of lower the costs, but in several threats I see people saying its better split the tranies, one for analog and one for digital part.
I would like someone with more experience can give more information about this.
O-netics for shure is one of the best options, I my self don´t have experience with them, but who looks aroud will see that people with high knowlegment in tube amps used them, they can´t be so bad:)
I´m also interested to use O-netics.

Klaus

Yes. I've used R-Core and PTs from mainstream people like Edcor and Hammond and some other small companies. By far O-netic on all transformer, to my ear, have been the winner. I have custom output transformers by them. The PT's are shielded well enough and built properly so a 3A PT, for example is equivalent to a mass produced 10A because those are building to lowest manufacturers price point. The fact O-Netics are properly shielded makes an obvious difference in stray fields. An R-core throws a very large stray field as do many Torodial transformers (although less than R-Core)

Yes. I've used R-Core and PTs from mainstream people like Edcor and Hammond and some other small companies. By far O-netic on all transformer, to my ear, have been the winner. I have custom output transformers by them. The PT's are shielded well enough and built properly so a 3A PT, for example is equivalent to a mass produced 10A because those are building to lowest manufacturers price point. The fact O-Netics are properly shielded makes an obvious difference in stray fields. An R-core throws a very large stray field as do many Torodial transformers (although less than R-Core)

I don´t know if I understand you well, you will put 2 PT´s, one for analog and one for 6x9V digital part.
Both you will buy at O-netics? I´m very interested in this constellation.

Klaus

My Contact is Bud Purvine the designer.

These would be all separate coils and heavily shielded from each other. It has 6 pairs of output 9VAC -- only for the SALAS board. If you are using the analog output you would use a different PT. In mine I use a separate one.

phrarod!

That is very better! No on transformer for Salas and filament!!
Can you tel more about this transformer???

Hi everyone,

I am the engineer Pharod has contacted about your transformer issues and he just sent me the url for this thread. I have not read any of it, so, I am about to ask some stupid questions.

The power transformer I know about has a requirement for very low emitted fields and six secondaries, each of which will see a 100 ma load. All of this is AC, a non rectified spec. I plan to wind the transformer with the primary and secondaries wound in separate wells, to eliminate line noise above 250 Hz from being coupled from primary to secondary. This should provide 90 db of shielding. I was also planning a copper shield around the bobbin floor and around the outer wrap of the secondary windings, to further suppress stray fields.

The core is to be M6, running at a bit above 9.3 kg flux density. A copper shield will be wrapped around the entire coil and adjacent core.

The transformer would be open frame, either with mounting feet or channel frame for attaching the transformer to it's intended chassis. This is the $72 option with leads for all windings.

A further form of emitted field suppression can be supplied, with a slight uptick in flux density (9.7kg) and the same bobbin, would have an M6 core suppression band mounted, as an interference fit, with a channel frame and endbells. The copper strap over coils and adjacent core remains. This is a major pain the *!! to do and will cost an additional $20 above the bare transformer price.

Regulation will be 1.2% with a 200 ma load on all windings and field strength at about half of that found in typical power transformers built to current commercial standards. CE 6500 standards are going to be adhered to, except for the thermal protective fuse and 50 Hz and 230 or 240 volts can be accommodated per individual requirements.

I have some questions.

Do the individual windings need to isolated from each other?

Is the planned size too large, with a basic core perimeter of 2.5 X 3 inches and a end bell to end bell width of 3 inches?

Why do you need something this crazed?

I will post a dimensioned drawing by tomorrow. We can do a group build if you like, without anyone having to supervise. Just PM me concerning your wish to participate.

If I have the time this week, I will read some of the thread to attempt to educate myself about what you are attempting.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.