PC recording Motu, Onyx, RME, Saffire???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone do any research into modding some multi channel PC recording interfaces like the MOTU stuff or the Mackie Onyx 400F, RME, Focusrite Saffire, the Presonus Firepod etc???

I need to purchase a 8 channel PC interface to be able to record 8 line inputs at a time. I am interested in the best quality box i can afford. curious if anyone has done any moding of these boxes and gained any significant improvments???

Zc

I meant to reply to this earlier, but forgot when it slipped off the front page.

As I guess you can tell from the dearth of responses, the higher-end recording soundcards is not a topic that gets a lot of traffic, even when it comes to mods. Even over at head-fi which IMHO is the 'modded sound card' site of choice, there is very litte activity on the higher-end external box units.

I have an Emu 1820M, and if it was still available it would be my recommendation. Pretty much ideal - great performance out of the box, ability to use external power, and enough room inside for the basic mods if you want to go that way. Unfortunately, it's discontinued and the new 1616M only has 6 analog inputs.

I also have an M-Audio Delta 1010, and if you're prepared for mods out of the box it may be a good unit. It's OK stock, but not up to the level of the Emu. However, the box is also externally powered and is fairly simple inside.

I don't have any personal experience with the other units. It's probably worth checking out some more recording-oriented sites.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.