Bedroom DJ speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This will be my first DIY project. :D
I have searched, but the results haven't looked promising!

I'm looking to make some speakers for my home to practice DJing on. The aim here is to have the "wow" factor more than the audiophile factor. I'm not overly worried about flatness and detail; I just want bass that will shake a womans clothes off.

I am on a really tight budget. I would like to build these for less than the price of Behringer Eurolive PA speakers ($270AUD).

Is anyone aware of any designs which meet my needs or can recommend a fairly newbie-friendly alternative? I would like at least 8 inch woofers, preferably a 3 way with something larger; just because bigger LOOKS better and I'm all about show. :smash:

I'm keen on building something similiar and a PA oriented system is definitely good for a "wow" factor.

compression drivers give good presence. in a listening room the sound is very realistic.

a three way with horn, pro midrange and a hi-fi bass unit would work, but that is a lot of components meaning it'll be costly.

What about an audio nirvana driver xo at about 2k with a compression driver on a good horn?

echosystm said:
Hi,

This will be my first DIY project. :D
I have searched, but the results haven't looked promising!

I'm looking to make some speakers for my home to practice DJing on. The aim here is to have the "wow" factor more than the audiophile factor. I'm not overly worried about flatness and detail; I just want bass that will shake a womans clothes off.

I am on a really tight budget. I would like to build these for less than the price of Behringer Eurolive PA speakers ($270AUD).

Is anyone aware of any designs which meet my needs or can recommend a fairly newbie-friendly alternative? I would like at least 8 inch woofers, preferably a 3 way with something larger; just because bigger LOOKS better and I'm all about show. :smash:

Find an old console stereo and take the drivers out of it and mount them in the biggest sealed boxes you can fit through the door. Something around the size of a refrigerator should be about right. Now the secret to WOW factor is, as you've so correctly pointed out, a hugh cabinet. But for that "Grand-Slam" finale, spend the rest of the money on an American-LaFrance Fire engine red paint job with a gold-leafed Batman insignia above your drivers. If this doesn't bring on the wows, I'm not sure what will.
BTW: Don't forget to always play them loud.

Good Luck,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.