I'd like to build a 3-way. I could use a few suggestions. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My last loudspeaker project was a resounding success. It certainly wouldn't have been without the help from GM, Salas and others. Thank You! If my Tannoy drivers hadn't suffered an untimely death, I wouldn't be starting this thread:bawling: .. Please don't ask me what happened to them, it will bring back bad memories :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: .

I have a couple of constraints I would like to work within here. I need to use the cabinets I have built here for my new speakers. This for a couple of reasons: 1)They are built and I don't want to fill the landfill more 2)They are somewhat flexible 3)They are fairly large (3ft3) and already have the WAF (this is the most important). Also, this is a somewhat long range plan.

My goal is to have a system that is both dynamic and accurate. It must be dynamic! I like upper bass as much as I like low bass. I listen to most types of music (no rap), but rock and jazz are most important. I watch a few movies but that's not very important. My prior system was all active using a dcx2496 but I want to ditch that - too much complication and not enough listening, noisy too. I am considering going passive between the tweet and midbass and active between the woofer and tweet/midb. I would like it to be completely passive though, I want the final system simple.

I will be using an amplifier between say 30 to 200 wpc. This will vary widely. I do want the speakers as efficient as possible.

If you look at the cabinet, the top baffle is about 13" x 13". The current baffle can be easily replaced and I would like to do a - maybe 7" and a tweeter there. The lower baffle is easily modified as well for a woofer - a 10"? a 12"? 2 x 8"?. I have 3 cubic feet total to work with. I am invisioning the top baffle have a - say 1/2 ft3 sealed chamber behind it for the midbass and leaving ~2.5 ft3 for the woofer. These seem like reasonable and doable guidelines to me.. No? I generally like a good vented system over a sealed one... I don't know why.

My quandary is that I could use some input as to what drivers may be suitable working together in such an arrangement, and hopefully there would be some proven x-over work done with said drivers. I do have a budget and the top line components are out.

As I re-read what I have written, I guess I really don't know what I am specifically asking! Any comment, both general and specific is very welcomed.

Thanks,
Marc

Attachments

• cabinets.jpeg
    cabinets.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 280
for bass you can try 2xL22RN4X/P in paralel. devide the cab as each 8" will have own volume. But you may have problems to find appropriate mid unit. I presonaly prefer seas L series because they sound crystal clear if well crossed.

I'm now in progress of building 2xL22RN4X/P + L15RCY/P+ 27TBFCG in 3way passive and closed box(half the volume of your boxes).

I can tell you that even one L22 in BR if well done is dynamic and accurate.

I'd prob. purchase 4 fostex ff225k's and do this:

have an upward firing driver and a forward firing driver for each loudspeaker - in other words use the (10inch?) opening for one driver with appropriate mod.s, and make another opening at the top of the box panel for the 2nd driver. Wire them in series or parallel (which ever sounds better).

Thanks,

all front baffles are replaceable so please don't let that be a limiting factor. The last time I researched and bought conventional raw drivers was about 15 years ago; Dynaudio. The current market is very new :xeye: to me so all pokes and suggestions that may help me attain the goals help immensely.

edit: Maybe I could find a super nice 2 way proven design with the x-over worked out and join a woofer section in with it. Seems that a crossover in the lower bands may be easier to work out using the proven x-over to split mid/hi?

Marc

Thanks a lot guys-

cc00541 said:
Have you seen the Dayton RS WTMW speakers over at the HTGuide forum? They have been well received, and I've head a couple different iterations of them. They sound quite good. Your enclosure volume is about right, but you will have to alter the front baffle to suit...

C

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=15323

CC,

This looks like something that I'm looking for! I think I may start an entirely new build if I go that way though. You state that you have heard a couple iterations of them. Does that mean you've heard the sealed vs vented or heard different crossover or tweeter choices? Care to comment?

-my interest peaked when I saw the rounded-side ones that guy built- beautiful!

The more I think about it, the more I consider turning my current boxes into cabinets for storage somewhere:D

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.