sony earphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small set of sony earbubs thats came with an mp3 player. My cats got ahold of them and chewed completely through the wire in 2 spots. Now this wire is nothing like ive seen before and doesnt easily splice back together. it is very fine wires taht seem to have some sort of insulator in the middle, but nothing on the outside of them and are all just touching together. im there is some kind of varnish or laminate covering the wires and insulating them from each other. Problem is, there so fine that they almost just break apart when i try to clean them off and they dont seem to connect with each other. I need to find out how to splice these and then how to keep the wires seperated from each other. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

the wires are 'enameled' (?!?) with an insulating laquer coating. This isolates them from each other.

Soldering them works like a charm - if you just do it. ;)
You don't need to scratch anything off, just tin the coating with a soldering iron. The coating will flow off and the copper strands will tin. Stinks a little, but is done the same way where they were manufactured.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.