Low pass filter - TL072

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That works on the same theory but simpler,

Attachments

• sub xo.jpg
    sub xo.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,489
Hi,
why do you want a low pass filter?
In my opinion it will remove some of your low bass information.

If you are planning to run with large amounts of equalisation to extend the low frequency response of a speaker, then a low pass will protect the speaker from excessive cone travel and the power amplifier from excessive output voltage.

If you are running the speaker near flat then I suggest you use a DC blocking capacitor on the input to your amplifier and set the RC time constant of this filter (-6db/octave- single pole) to about 80mS to 90 mS. That will let all the bass and sub-bass through and get the best out of the low frequency response in the speaker.

BTW
the circuit in post2 will not work with the late information supplied in post4! nor will the linked circuit in post1.

Ah!
a low pass to stop the bass getting to your speakers.
I'm afraid your link confused me.

A pair of 2pole Sallen & Key filters cascaded to give 24db/octave.
Do you want Linkwitz Reilly or Butterworth roll off characteristic or something else?

There's a Group Buy and a few spares may be available for a suitable filter (but it's not adjustable).

If you are planning to run with large amounts of equalisation to extend the low frequency response of a speaker, then a low pass will protect the speaker from excessive cone travel and the power amplifier from excessive output voltage.

There is definetly huge amount of equalisation :D
I have a two-band tone control, bass control range is from -19 to +17dB (I love that little button :D )
So i need a low pass filter because the range of bass control is from 20Hz to 500Hz, and I don't want anything above 150Hz on my subwoofer.

Well, the link you posted shows a tested and ready project. Just what you're looking for.

It will work, although it can be done differently. But the recommendations in the project description are okay.

It's 12dB/Oct., though! Implementing an adjustable filter of 4th order (in this case: with four adjustable resistors) is difficult. Depends on what you need exactly.

Lars Clausen of then LC-Audio (now Olive Audio) made one, but it's a little more complex (albeit a lot more sophisticated and capable). It contains remote power control, gain adjustment, adjustable low cut for protection, and variable bass boost, adjustable 24dB/Oct low-pass filter and variable phase alignment 0-180 degree. He recently pulled it from his website for updating the project, but you can always send him an email and ask how far it is progressed.

I have the schematic of the first version that I could send you by email, if you like. But as it contains only the schematic (and no board layout or manual) you should perhaps contact Lars first.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

to explain my situation a little better:
I have a 100WRMS amplifier, and a two-band tone control, but on the tone control low signal amplification is from 20Hz to 500Hz, and I don't want anything above 150Hz on my subwoofer so I need a low pass filter.

Amplifier runs at ±40V and tone control at +12V, so i thought of placing the low pass filter on the same power supply as the tone control, but it is not too important.

I mentioned TL072 for low pass filter because it is low noise, and very cheap, but it's not too important, if you know a better OP Amp tell me.

Sebastian, please send me the schematic if you can, I would like to see it.
diy_ch33ta@yahoo.com

Rod Elliot's project 48 works for closed boxes only - what you need is really only a low-pass filter and maybe some gain in the low end.

This is exactly what I need, nothing else, cutoff frequencies higher than 150Hz and a little bass boost.

tnx, Sebastian for the schematic - I'll build it as soon as I find some time. :smash:
The schematic is simply beautiful, a little more complex, as you said, but it's worth building. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.