• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

more output transformer questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a problem that anuyone knows of about using a push pull ot on a single ended amp.

The only reason im asking is the tube im using has a high plate resistance and only the pp trans go high enough.
Also is hammond a good output transformer & what other brands are out there.

Thanks Nick

I would not go that route, using a P-P OPT for SE application is opening a can of worms.....
What tube are you using ???
WHat operating conditions are you operating this tube at???
What performance are you expecting????
Once this info is known, then some of the members of this forum can chime in on suitable transformer options...

Chris

kinda didnt give enough info sorry. the tube is a zero bias triode.

I want to run it at 3000vdc that gives me a max signal plate current of around 350ma requires 12.5 watts rms drive z= 4300 ohms.
Hope to get a useful 200 to 250 clean watts rms more would be better.
If I have to though I can lower the B+ to 2kvdc to lower the z

Nick

Well, you'd have to run class A because this isn't a tuned circuit. That means your efficiency is going to be pretty terrible (25% on a good day, wind at your back, going downhill). And a SE transformer for that current and voltage will cost a fortune, not to mention being too heavy to lift unassisted.

As you've noted, tubes in this class tend to need very high anode loads, which means that the transformers are even more difficult to make without severe bandwidth restrictions.

All of this is a long way of saying:

1. Don't use SE for high powers.
2. Don't use power tubes that require high impedances.

yes I just rechecked the specs and the numbers per tube. I've also been contimpleting trying a 813 because 4 3-500zg costs $600.
I'm not as concered with fan noise becuase I was plannig on building the amp in a rack box and putting it in a sound proof rack cabinet that I have with nice 6" inch fans in the top.

So tell me this you get better low frequency responce from se or pp.

Nick

Jezz if I had millions of dollars maybe but luckly no but could you amagine an pp ot that could handle 2kilowatts. Ya I'd say about 50 pounds of iron.

I'm thinken of a cheaper tube but you have cleared alot of things up so thank you.

I do have 1 more question though in the rf realm you it's easy to figuare you z because your frequency spread is narrow most of the time.

So in audio equpment is the z figuared for the higest frequency or the middle.

Really thanks for the help

Audio, being broadband, uses things like transformers for impedance matching rather than stuff like pi networks. The nice thing about transformers is that they are inherently broadband (in a general sense). Also, the tube admittances are also relatively constant over the frequency span. So the load calcs are the same at 100Hz and 20kHz. Makes life easy, huh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.