Parts recovery from PCs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At work we scrap a large amount of computer and networking gear (PCs, CRT displays, old network switches/hubs, old UPS), often in good working order. I was wondering what kind of components I should be watching for in this gear that might be usable for chip amps or other audio projects. Transformers? Heatsinks?

btw, if anyone is looking for a HUGE torroid, I have a 5000VA unit (about 14" diameter) here, never used... it's from a 208V to 110V AC stepdown transformer... weighs about 75lbs... :)

Hey...It"s another fellow Vancouver Islander!! Cool....

Well You could get a lot of good parts from UPS units Like the Battery Packs which you could use to power a Portable chipamp...They also have fairly large Transformers in them which if they have the right Voltages and Taps could be used for Chipamps...

You can also salvage any Large Capacitors and the Chassis of some equipment to use as a Chassis of a Chip amp, also any large heatsinks can be used......

I often scavenge old equipment for Parts for projects as it sure beats spending a fortune on new Parts.....

If you have a Bunch of stuff and you would like someone to look and see what is salvageable then let me know and I can come down and take a look at some of the stuff and help you Pick out what is usefull and what is just junk....

Let me know if your interested....

Cheers

Hi there,

I'm in Shawnigan Lake, so if you're nearby, you're welcome to send me a PM and arrange to have a look. Not sure when I'll have time to sort through it all - it's been piling up for quite a while. I need to have my guys sort through some of it first and decide what is going to the bin.

I imagine PC power supplies aren't too useful, being only 12V, but I do have at least one Cisco unit I may be able to scrap, which I think is 48VDC on the output, and about 1000W. Might be some good parts in there...

You live In Shawnigan Lake ehh...

Well It just so happens that I am also in Shawnigan lake, well actually Cobble Hill which is the next closest town to shawnigan lake.....

There actually aren"t too many things inside a PC that you can use , The power supplies are 12v like you said but they are also SMPS which aren"t particularilly suited for audio applications even though some higher power SMPS units are used in some high end audio gear.....

UPS units are a diferent story as they usually have a pretty Big Xformer in them but they are usually only single supply Xformers and it is better to run most audio gear off of a dual supply because of DC offset and Headroom and other issues related to Single supply audio circuits.....

The batteries in a UPS Units can be used to make Portable Audio gear which is one practical use for the Batterier and they are usually some big electrolytic caps inside UPS units which can be salvaged......

I get a LOT of my Parts from old salvaged Parts from old stereo"s and amps ect and it saves me a lot of money.....

So if you want to get together and we can sort through some of your stuff for some parts I would be happy to give you a hand or even if you want to colaborate on a Project or need help with a Project ect....
I don"t have a Lot of Friends that are into DIY so it would be cool to have someone close by that I can share Ideas with or work on projects with......

Here"s my e-mail: "mr_sevs At Yahoo Dot ca" ...So e-mail me and we can get together and do some tinkering.....

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.