Velleman K4003 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your amplifier is designed for mains fed applications, the circuit is optimally designed for symmetrical power supplies.

Velleman K4003 stereo amplifier needs a supply voltage 2X12VAC/2A(50W).
This amp cannot supply from car's battery directly, you need a CONVERTER (or, you can use two batteries - see manual Page 8 - but it is a inconvenient solution).

The best solution is to buy an amplifier that need 12VDC power suplly.
The K4003 needs a symetric power supply (double power supply).

If you'll try to use a single supply, you will destroy the amplifier.

The Velleman K4003 is constructed to use a transformer connected to mains voltage:
-version 1 - OPEN-FRAME TRANSFORMER 48VA 2 x 12V / 2 x 2A
Order Code: 212048
http://www.velleman.be/es/en/product/view/product.asp?id=997#
-version 2 - TOROIDAL TRANSFORMER 50VA 2 x 12V / 2 x 2.08A
Order Code: 5012
http://www.velleman.be/es/en/product/view/product.asp?id=1909#

If you want to use a car battery anyway, two solutions are posible:
1- a transformer above mentioned and a DC/AC converter wich converts the
12VDC to 230VAC (see attached solution1.png)
2-a DC/DC converter wich converts the 12VDC to 2x15VDC (see attached solution2.png)

The 2nd solution is preferable.

Using the converters in this application is an inconvenient solution.
Is more simple, reliable and cheaper to buy an amplifier that need 12VDC power suplly.

Attachments

• solution1.png
    solution1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 430
Hoping this forum is still beeing read, here is my questions:
I'm trying to select a power supply for my K4003 and I've selected few transformer:
-Maplin N57JB
-Rapid electronics VTX-126-050-212
-RS 504-672

Is that the kind of transfo required? would you recommend any?

Last question: I bought my K4003 second hand so I'm not 100% sure I've got all the component. I'm not sure about the insulator. I've got a small transparent plastic sheet with a hole in it. I read insulator can be made of silicone so I'm thinking it could be that but I'd rather be sure.

many thanks

Hoping this forum is still beeing read, here is my questions:
I'm trying to select a power supply for my K4003 and I've selected few transformer:
-Maplin N57JB
-Rapid electronics VTX-126-050-212
-RS 504-672

Is that the kind of transfo required? would you recommend any?

Last question: I bought my K4003 second hand so I'm not 100% sure I've got all the component. I'm not sure about the insulator. I've got a small transparent plastic sheet with a hole in it. I read insulator can be made of silicone so I'm thinking it could be that but I'd rather be sure.

many thanks

Any of those three transformers will be suitable.

It sounds like you have correctly identified the mounting insulator for the TDA2616.

Many thanks for your quick reply Huntingdon

I'm now ordering the equipment and I've got one silly question:
Why do we put an for insulator if we want to transfer the heat to the heat sink and this by adding conductive heat paste?
or maybe I'm confused with the term insulator

Cheers

Many thanks for your quick reply Huntingdon

I'm now ordering the equipment and I've got one silly question:
Why do we put an for insulator if we want to transfer the heat to the heat sink and this by adding conductive heat paste?
or maybe I'm confused with the term insulator

Cheers

There are no silly questions...

An insulator is placed between the IC and the heatsink because the metal block in the TDA2616 is internally connected to pin 5, which is the -ve power supply. In a normal installation the heatsink will be at ground potential, and the insulator is thus required to avoid shorting the -ve supply to ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.