WAF : which enclosure for FE 206 ES-R ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

I posted a message a while back for a "simple to build" enclosure for the Fostex FE 206 ES-R.

From this post, I received a lot of good advice from Scottmoose for building a BIB -TQWT. He even did the calculations for me (thanks again BTW). So everything was ready to R&R.

So I was all ready to go, except that I discounted the WAF in my plans : my future ex-wife threw a serious tantrum when she look at my plans and discovered that these beautiful boxes would be over 2 meter tall...

Not planning to move out of the house in the near future and be forced to sleep in my car, what recommendations would you have for an enclosure taking care of the Wife Acceptance Factor.

1) Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE 206 ES-R ? as per the attached file.

2) A Nagaoka D58-ES ?

3) Others ??

Thanks,
Sierra

Attachments

• f206e_enclosurerev.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 746
That design is slightly different from the one posted on Madisound's website for the ESR:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/fe206esr-rev.pdf

My buddy Frank recently completed a pair of these (quite a daunting task ), they sound fabulous, but make sure you have a furniture dolly handy to move. Even in baltic birch plywood instead of MDF, these are well over 100lbs each, and awkward to boot.

The finished dimensions are 370mmW x 1071mmH x 532mmD

Chris has pointed you to the correct Factory box for the ES-R. Much, much better than the cabinet for the standard FE206E. Basically, as you'll see, the ES-R box is a refinement of the Nagaoka D-58.

As an alternative easy to build cabinet, the Factory design for the FE208ESigma is a well designed box, and should do OK with the ES-R units.

When I look at the way the 206esr cabinet is built (and I’m sure it’s a great sounding system) I can’t help but realize how efficient the BIB design is. There is ‘dead space’ at the front and bottom with the back horn… with the BIB all the space is utilized (every single drop).

Whatever you build will be big. Explain to your soon to be ex that floor space is similar regardless of height. Sounds like she might complain about whatever you build.

Good luck!

Godzilla said:
>>> future ex-wife threw a serious tantrum...

Build the BIBs.

Jeff is probably right, you don't want to set a precendent of submission, at least as far as the audio system/decor equation is concerned. ;)

Other areas of interpersonal relationships would be considered Way OT for this forum (any woman who says size doesn't matter, probably hasn't given birth multiple times)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Godzilla said:
Whatever you build will be big

Unless you have a spare room just behind your normal speaker position, anything for this driver will be big (and with the spare room, you are just hiding the BIG box), because it really wants to be in a horn... and it seems a waste to use it as a mid-tweeter (in which case you could put it in a small sealed or aperiodic box and actively XO it to a much less efficient woofer that gives bass in a small box (integration is always a challenge)

You can send me the 206sERs for proper disposal.

The BIB is almost for sure the best easy to build box, Bruce might edge it out overall, but it isn't going to be much smaller (and a more complex build -- less pieces than a Fostex box thou -- althou you might be able to dress it up better)

Bruce-3d.gif

dave

Probably depends on the cabinet. The FE208ESigma and FE206E have some serious clobber in the Fostex Factory FE208ESigma cabinet. But technically, that's not a horn. Sounds like one though. I still remember when my friend Simon fired up his 208s in the factory design cabinet at a recent speaker do. Nick had whipped out his torture track: Metallic Live with the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra. The floor shook. As I haven't heard a Karlson I can't pass comment, but I can say that these things have massive LF heft. Be interesting to load one of the factory cabinets with a K-slot on the front of the mouth.

karlson as usually tuned can't go down deep - imo some coupler have good "inpact" with brief 60-300W peaks - their 97-101dB sensitivity is kinda low for SET - there must not be much new playing around with Karlson - I think they are effectively dead. I also think Karlson-coupler can be fun toys for the adventuresome (within reason) and can deliver a fair amount of power output with fairly low cone excursion.

can a 20cm fullrange augmented with 1-2 15" woofer on OB compete with most BLH for enjoyment factor and vocal quality ? what about colorations in BLH - must be a bit (?) waht about integration issue between 15 and 8?

what differentiates the transition into calling a BLH a "real horn"? I've built 3/16 55Hz which was 15 cubic feet

Thanks to all for your feedback.

It seems that my Future Ex-Wife Acceptance Factor (FEWAF) is pointing me in the direction of the Fostex factory recommended enclosure for the F206 ES-R.

So this will be it, for the sake of peace at home. I would love to do the BIB but when you factor in the other incidental costs (lawyer fees, throwing the pet rabbit in the BIB so it gets bored and can chew on the inclined panel, and so forth), this seems like a decent deal after all.

sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. So I tell my Mother-In-Law when she complains about her boyfriends.

I will keep you posted on the building.

thanks again, Sierra

Sierra, in the HP Reflectors thread, I had a friend post a couple photos of my walnut finished Fostex recommended horns for the FE206ESR. Of course, I feel they look great in my living room, and it will give your future ex and idea of their size and looks. I hope she does`nt become your ex, I hope the wonderful music will bring you closer together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.