• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

40mu tube preamp suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to see if there are any decent preamp designs for 40ish mu tubes.

No I don't need all that gain but have a lot of the 9pin 40ish gain tubes
like 5965, 12AV7, 6829, and E180CC and was thinking of trying a preamp
that utilized one tube (both triodes) per channel in a unit.

Here's one schem I'm throwin about in spice at the moment.
Any suggestions are more then welcome,
Thanks.

Attachments

• 40_pre_990.gif
    40_pre_990.gif
    72 KB · Views: 416
For What? Application?

If you're looking for a fine audio tube in this category, I'd look at a 12ay7/6072a. I would be worried about equivalent input noise and freedom from microphonics. Every tube would have an optimum Rk (cathode resistor)which would give the lowest equivalent input noise.

E180CC, 5965 were made 0bias condition tubes

I looked up two of the tubes you mentioned. They were made for computer use to operate under cut off and cut on conditions for long periods under 0 bias conditions. One manuals say the E180cc was not made for applications where low noise and low microphonics are a primary concern.

All of the tubes I mentioned are used in many designs as the phase splitter tube amung others.
The poinz 6v6 amp, which is a pretty highly regarded amp uses the 5965 family of tubes upfront.

These are actually quite nice tubes for audio, if you haven't tried any you should give um a listen.
I'm using them in the phase splitter of my modded ST-70 with some very nice and quiet results. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.