S/PDIF / AES input transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me if this:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0649/0900766b806496c8.pdf

is suitable for use as an S/DIF or AES/EBU input transformer? Based on other threads on here it seems similar to the transformers people have mentioned (general Ethernet transformers such as the Pulse H1102). I just want to make sure.

Also, how do you connect it up? Are the Tx And Rx sections identical (thus meaning this is in fact two AES receivers in one package)? Also, in the diagrams on page 2, what are the "horizontal" transformers for (across pins 14-16 and 11-9)? They look like they'll try to cancel out any differential signals present!

Sorry, I know this is a stupid question!

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if this:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponent...66b806496c8.pdf

is suitable for use as an S/DIF or AES/EBU input transformer?

Ethernet has about 3 times higher bitrates thes AES/EBU. That means your on the safe side with about any ethernet transformer. And this one is as good as the trafo from Pulse.

Also, how do you connect it up? Are the Tx And Rx sections identical (thus meaning this is in fact two AES receivers in one package)?

Yes

Also, in the diagrams on page 2, what are the "horizontal" transformers for (across pins 14-16 and 11-9)? They look like they'll try to cancel out any differential signals present!

These are common mode jokes. They cancel non-differential signals. Used on the input side, they damp high frequency noise which has been coupled into the cable.

Thanks illusionxx,

These are common mode jokes. They cancel non-differential signals. Used on the input side, they damp high frequency noise which has been coupled into the cable.

But how?? let's say current is flowing clockwise in that side of the circuit - from pin14 and round, through to pin 16. The current is passing in opposite directions through the two coils of this "horizontal" transformer. How do the magnetic fields not cancel out?
Conversely, if current were flowing through both coils in the same direction then the fields would couple from one to the other and... what? sort've average them both out?

Thanks!

But how?? let's say current is flowing clockwise in that side of the circuit - from pin14 and round, through to pin 16. The current is passing in opposite directions through the two coils of this "horizontal" transformer. How do the magnetic fields not cancel out?

They do cancel out and that`s why your signal can pass them unaltered.

Conversely, if current were flowing through both coils in the same direction then the fields would couple from one to the other and... what? sort've average them both out?

Currents flowing in the same direction see a high inductance because the magnetic fields don`t cancel each other out. Thats why high frequency common mode noise is damped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.