If it aint broke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very sorry about your tragedy my friend...i ensure that many of us had

lived the same experience you are leaving.... very bad the feeling.

Not only me, but our forum friends will help you if needed and asked.

You are not the one..... not the last.... this happened to all of us...but only few guys had the courage to tell.

My Dad also told me not to get married...i made the foolish twice, and going to third moment of severe insanity....that's life..we are humans.

regards,

Carlos

normal multimeter probe tip
can be 1 mm in diameter
and have ~10 mm length without isolation

to try and avoid such shorting with the probe
we could put some isolation cover onto tip
- you can use for example plastic pieces - leftovers
from when you have done un-insulating of PVC isolated 1 mm wires

also we can sharpen the probe tip
until it looks like needle
and only like 1-2 mm of this thin, sharp probe tip is sticking out

Thanks guys!
Since I was running in a bridges mode I think it might in a weird way mitigated some damage. I re-fused it, and powered it through a 40 watt bulb. The yellow distortion lamp lit up, and got 31 volts positive DC at the output.
The funny part is I was "playing" with the negative board where I smoked it. So far I found (on the positive board) the driver transistor shorted out, with about 28 ohms resistance.
That would be the 2sc2344 acording to the schematic.
Do you think I have to dig further? Would this transistor throw a spear into the front end?
Just seems weird that this particular one blew, I would have thought it would be atleast on the "negative" output board.
The left channel seems fine, so I guess I ought to count my lucky stars!

I pulled a similar bonehead move

last week on a Citation 16 while checking emitter voltage. The amp has a small vent on top of the output stage, and I removed it to check the aforementioned emitter voltage... thought it was powered off, but it was not. Shorted the emitter of one of the outputs to ground, fried the device, which was an original RCA 1B05. It is now getting a full set of On Semi MJ15024G's purchased from Allied. Oh well- I feel your pain.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi digital desire,
There is more than one way to look at it. You made a mistake, but barring a mistake the saying changes to .......

"If it ain't broke, it will be if you don't maintain it!"

What you indended to do was intelligent, you just did what happens to us all on occasion. Here, have a beer. ;) You are not allowed to cry in it though!

Everything requires maintenance periodically. You should never touch something unless you know what you are doing, in that case your father's saying is valid.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.