Octal tube as headphone amp output tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yagoolar said:
Do you think 6L6 (russian 6P3-S) is a good candidate for output tube in CF xformerless stage?

No.

Any other octals (not 6H13C - this one I know)? 6SN7, 6SL7, 6N7?

Intended for 32 ohm Philips HP1000

The big problem with this is that cathode followers don't like working into such small loads. You get limited voltage output and horrible inefficiency. You'd be better off using a 45 triode xfmr coupled to the 32R headphones. A 45 can easily develop a couple of watts as a SET, and they are supposed to have excellent sonics.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Transformerless headphone amps have been based on the White cathode follower, which has a very low OP impedance. I prefer the idea of a transformer, because it safely isolates the headphones so you don't suddenly get a few hundred volts across your ears if something goes wrong.

yagoolar said:
Any other octals (not 6H13C - this one I know)? 6SN7, 6SL7, 6N7?

Intended for 32 ohm Philips HP1000

I use a 13EM7 in an OTL that drives minimum 32 ohms fine :)

It's in a WCF arrangement, trioded 6CL6 bottom tube, low-mu section of the 13EM7 as the top, high-mu section of the 13EM7 as the voltage amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.