Special music moments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

This post was inspired by the the thread about which recording of Beethoven's 9th is the best.
I bought Furtwangler's 1942 recording and when music started, my jaw dropped, blood froze and body was covered with goosebumps (all three at the same time :) )

Moments like this doesn't happen often in life, but I am sure everybody had one when listening to music. I understand that it is very personal, but still want to invite you guys to share the music which is very special to you. After all, all we are doing is for the moments like this.

Here are some of mine:

Deep Purple, beginning of "Made in Japan"
Beatles, White Album, beginning of "Revolution"
Miles Davis, "Kind of Bue"
Pink Floyd, "Time" form Dark Side
King Crimson, "Three of perfect Pair"
Ellington "Brasiliance" from "Lathin American Suite"
Coltrane, "equinox"

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings"
Aaron Copland's "Quiet City"
Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain"
Chuck Mangione's "Children of Sanchez"
Maurice Ravel's "Bolero"
Petr Tchaikovski's "Arabian Dance" from "The Nutcracker"
Claude Debussey's "Prelude to The Afternoon of a Faun"

Actually I feel that a LOT of music, if listened to in the proper setting, is really transcendental! But, I had to pick a bunch, and these floated to the top :)

Tom.
(I'm listening to Gustav Mahler, as we speak :)

I'm not sure if it's jaw-dropping, but one wonderful new musical discovery was made a few years ago when I heard Gershwin's Lullaby for String Orchestra. Possibly better than anything else of his, and I'm a big fan of Rhapsody in Blue. The Dallas Symphony and the St. Louis Symphony have the best versions, in my book. The latter is on Vox. Not the best sonics for a high-end system, but Slatkin really knows this piece.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.