ApexJr super8 fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, it's been completed for quite sometime but just now getting around to having time to build a webby showcasing it. Introducing the "Fourplay"

fourplay02.jpg

More info and pics here... http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/noidster/fourplaysub.htm

Noidster

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Ed,
did you buy the Tang Band 8 inchers?

I have a buddy who loves those drivers. He uses them in a very small box with a tuning that is "all wrong" but raves about them. Lately he has been using them to supliment his open baffle Altec 605s and says they blend very well up to about 100dB.

Paul, thanks for the positive comments. Mark, myself, and the few others that have heard it are very impressed with how it sounds. Nice and tight, not boomy, works great with the blues and classic rock that he listens to mostly.

Greg, we did not take an y measurements before or after to be honest with you. We basically looked around at the stuff we had for the project and built it, hoping for the best. Results were definately on the positive.

Motherone, thanks for the positive comments as well. As far as my impressions of it go, I would have to say impressive. I do believe it sounds as good as it looks for sure.

gychang, as far as an economic way of building it goes, I don;t think you can get any cheaper than we did. We used scrap plywood from other projects, the PVC was rescued from the trash-pile at a road construction site, the woofers themselves were donated by ApexJr.com as door prizes for the Florida DIY events I hosted and by trading, wheeling, and dealing, we managed to get Mark all four of them. The amp he is currently using was a buyout from MCM originally I believe and then I bought it even cheaper second hand. I'd say total, even if you had to buy the drivers, less than $200 total.

Cal, don't be fooled by the specs alone. These little buggers really can pump out the bass when called upon. As I have mentioned before, you throw four of them together, low-pass around 70Hz, a little bass-boost around 30Hz, and a small room...you get very well balanced, usable bass well into the 20's.

BassAwdyO, thanks for the comments, I would have to agree with you. It turned out better then I had originally thought once Mark started playing around with the suede and the stains.

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more man. How are you utilizing yours may I ask?

Ed, maybe a little late here but comparing them to the little Tang Band brutes I thik is a good match. Response-wise, pretty much a match in the same sealed enclosure. The TB's can handle a bit more power with their longer excursion but when you are using four of them, the super8's can literally shake the house when you decide it's needed.

breisch....thanks.

Sorry for the delay in my response here folks, and once again..thanks for all the positive comments.

Noidster

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by theNoid Dave, I couldn't agree with you more man. How are you utilizing yours may I ask?

No power so i can't get at the picture. A push-push pair in a BR box based on the small BR at Steve's site (built by SCD out of vintage scraps). Each driver has its own 50W (from an Aurex/Toshiba) power amp, This is directly driven by my Technics HT decoder/processor (so the woofer only works with movies). I have 1 channel of a proper XO breadboarded, but that job hasn't reappeared on the top of the queue yet.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.