Bob Cordell Interview: Error Correction

I had a chance to meet Bob last weekend at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver. They had an amplifier design Q&A, so I was able to pick his brain about his error correction amplifier AES journal article. He is a nice guy. He has a web site here You can download his papers there.

One interesting thing I learned from the discussion. In his amplifier, you'll see series R-C networks from the power MOSFET gates to ground. These networks allow a smaller gate resistor while still preventing RF oscillations in the MOSFETs (400 MHz!). He gets away with 47 Ohms, giving a larger bandwidth than what you get with the more typical 200 Ohms or so. The series R-C doesn't seem to impact the bandwidth at all. But it does terminate the gate with a resistance at RF frequencies.

22 years after the publication of the article, and he is still a fan of error correction. The amps in his active speaker don't use error correction though. I think this was in the interest of simplicity and being able to have them be small enough to cram into a pretty small speaker enclosure.

In one of the PDF's in Bob's site, there is an amp. The amp is attached below.
The output stage looks like triple darlington, Q5+Q6, Q7+Q8, Q9+Q10.

Why is that Q5+Q6 and Q9+Q10 's emitors are attached to the output node, while Q7+Q8 are not attached to output? What is the reason to make Q7+Q8 have different connection than Q5+Q6 and Q9+Q10?

Attachments

• tim.gif
    tim.gif
    51.5 KB · Views: 10,790
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
peranders said:
Just checking the pp file from Mr. Cordell. It seems that I have invented a "super gainclone" :) Didn't know the name was "super". I named it "high performance"....

Interesting to see that a such a famous person wants to even mention the LM3886 :nod:

Wow! YOU invented the gainclone? Or just the name? This is an interesting question. If you clone something (as in 'rip off') can you then claim to have it invented? This puts a whole new light on the term 'intellectual property' (on both of the words).

Jeez....

Jan Didden

http://www.cordellaudio.com/papers/another_view_of_tim.shtml
fig.7

Mikeks,

Why is that Q7+Q8's emitors are not connected to output like Q5+Q6 and Q9+Q10? I saw this also in Fostexlab600 amp, Alesis RA500 amp, these amps also has the same connection, in triple darlington, the 1st and 3rd pair is connected to output, while the 2nd is not. What is the reason of such connection, do you know the reason why?

I was a little bit surprised that he didn't make more of the different types of high frequency compensation in the factors that effected sound quality. Around the time that the AES paper was pubilshed there was a small but renowned group that all used the same method. And they all flew in the face of current, majority opinion and in JLH's case a lot of flack from the minimal THD group. From memory they were, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell, John Linsely Hood and Edward Cherry in Aust. I think from the JAES biogs Ed Cherry and Bob Cordell may have been at Bell Lab at one stage.