• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triode sound in my car :-) -> How to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

I just wanted to ask something: my car has a separate CD-changer with line out to the radio.
I would like to add some harmonic color to the CD's and make an even greater pleasure to listen to music in it.
Will a triode stage with unity gain do this? What's the best tube?
In Steve Bench's page the 1629 magic eye has a very good 2nd harmonic with very low 3rd. I want something that's easy to put in a small space with an also small voltage need.
I have a couple ou E88CC laying around.

Many thanks and a Merry Christmas

I mean that it sounds to me like you want to add distortion to the signal, right? I have no idea whatsoever why you would want to do that, but it's possible to add plenty of distortion via badly designed stages.;)

You see, most people (even in this crazy place) try to design distortion, noise, and excess stages OUT of the system!

Also, be aware that adding a tube buffer or something like that will not make your car stereo sound like a tube amp.

Hi Petman,

I'll try to explain to you what Joel is trying to say. IMHO...

You selected a tube that emphasizes 2nd Harmonics...Excellent! Any device whether it is a transistor that has more 2nd order or even order harmonic distortion than so called odd order distortion..is experienced as warmer and more natural..by humans. Any good acoustic musical instrument maker will tell you... That is one of the reasons a Stradivarius sounds so good.

Joel however hates the fact (at least that is the way it seems to me) that a lot of tubes emphasize 2nd harmonics ...and the fact that people refer to that fact, seems to anger him. Apparently he finds all distortion equal.

There are very few tube car designs on the net..But I'll see if I can find you some.

Good luck on your quest...and a Merry Christmas to you too!

Hi Petman...

Found a great resource by Pete Millet...the designer...works on 24volts dc..is a hybrid design for a headphone amp...but you could use that before your power stages...Also the circuit boards may be ordered..

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/hybrid_head.htm

Attachments

• hybrid_headl.jpg
    hybrid_headl.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 309
Bas, you're a sweet, OK guy!
You managed to read my mind on the warmer sounding stuff. That's exactly what i want to get ( or try at least).
I'll check this one out (and it works with Eagle cad too!)
The line out will be something....
I'm going to read some tube theory and stuff and maybe make a drawing of what i think will be a buffer with the 1629.
Unfortunatelly, i'm still in the process of building a tube amp for my room - triode of course - but i'm like that, i wanna do it but never make it.

Thanks!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RADIO GAGA II

Hi,

This thread goes a long way to show how much misconceptions are out there.:xeye:

One company I remember making tube amps for cars was "Milbert".
These used a DC/DC converter to use the 12VDC from the battery to higher voltages suitable for tubes.

Dunno whether they are still around though.

My wet dream for the car has always been a real tubes stereo radio.
I'm still dreaming to this day.Guess i have to look a bit harder.

Cheers,;)

Hey, hey, no hamsters here (it it means what i'm thinking)! :redhot:
Just forget the first line of my last reply, ok? That's what u get when trying to be nice to a guy for a reply....using some wrong words....

I'll do the amps one day. I gotta listen to some tube stuff. The problem is output transformers. so darn expensive here!
Santa won't be very happy with u guys, especially John... :)

Bye!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.