• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My new project, 2 x KT88 60W amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My new project, 2xKT88 60W amp

Hi!!!!!

I need to share the emotion...... I just boutgh the tubes for my amp project... it will be 2xKT88+12AU7 for output stage and 1x12ax7 diff amp (with solid state current source). I didnt finish the schematic... I have to make some questions to a teacher of my college... as soon as I had it, i will post it :D

meanwhile... some pics!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

look at the tube sockets, they're ceramic - gold! :D they look really nice...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some news!!!!

My output power transformer will be:

input: 5kohm (400H ) with 43% ultralinear taps, output: 6ohm
4,5kg M5 iron (dont know how is in english "grano orientado")

PSU choke: 10H 250mA
PSU transf: 370+370 V

For the tube heaters I will use 6.3v DC regulated... I need to find a good circuit, maybe with a LM317 / 338.

the schematic will be something like this:

but with a diffamp with 12AX7.

I am builing the exact circuit you are refering to, with EF86, ecc83 and EL34.

I cannot answer these questions to their full extent, as I in my project depend on guiding from more competent persons. But:

Are you sure 370 V B+ will give you 60 watt out with kt88?

Are you sure a choke rated at 250 mA can deal with the current needed for 60W out?

In my project I am aiming at 30 - 40 watt out. My B+ is 460 volt and my 5H choke is rated at 300mA.

Are you sure 370 V B+ will give you 60 watt out with kt88?

nono, I will use 370+370 transformer so the B+ will be somethin like +470V

Are you sure a choke rated at 250 mA can deal with the current needed for 60W out?

mmmm... I'm not sure, the guy who builds my output trans told me that I have to use that 10H 250mA choke. I will take note of that you said, thanks!!!!

yes, it is from that book!! a friend emailed it to me :D

Now I have to modify the schematic to use KT88 and a 60W output trans.

I'm newbie with tubes, so it will take some time... affortunately, I have a teacher in my college that knows all about tubes and will help me today :D

hehe, this seems yo be a popular project, I myself have just collected most parts for the same amp. I will use 6550 instead of EL34 thou.

As stated earlier, just keep it comming!

EDIT:
have you guys noticed the differences between the schematic in the appendix and the one in the article?
Different values on caps and some that are present in one isn't there on the other.

This is a variation of the Mullard circuit. There's a very nice deconstruction of the design in "Valve Amplifiers."

May I simplify things a bit?

First, if you pay some attention to grounding and layout, there's no reason you can't use unregulated AC on the heaters. None of my power amps use DC heaters, and they all are dead quiet.

Second, if you're using a current sink in the second stage cathodes, the plate balance adjust is unnecessary. Just use matched plate resistors and matched grid resistors for the output stage (they're part of the diff amp's load) and the CCS will force things to be balanced.

400H for o/p tranny is alot of L.......Is it a toroid ? I
noticed 390K output stage grid leaks......this is way high for KT88 and especially for 6550's in fixed bias and no HF phase correction in 1st stage anode.
Those KT88's in the packets..wait before you use them...I say get design going with EL34's and study the data sheets of the KT88 and 6550C.
Svetlana spec for 6550C suggests 200k absolute max for grid leak and I'm using not even half that in my fixed bias designs.
Variants of KT88's are also sim.

Anyone else flogging ECC83's as phaseplitter drivers for KT88's ?

richj

That o/p stage schm is the GEC 88-50 business end. The anode currents are correct around 87mA. Hint, the tubes are run at 2x37W quiescent , so anodes will glow reddish..and circuits of this type are best put to work which reduces anode heating effect. Generally I don't like pushing tubes with this VA (shorter life) unless there is a good reason.. KT88's aren't cheap...and 500V is dangerous and requires respect for first time builders.
Earlier NOS 88's could take 10,000hrs with such voltages and higher, but I doubt newer manuf'd ones would last that long.
G2 current in UL should be around 5-10mA depending on tube and signal. SO g2 volts is sim to anode.

The orig transformer for the 88-50 has a primary res of app 75 ohms each half with g2 around 36 ohms each half/outer to centre tap. Ohms law can work out the rest.

Why not have a peep at the 30W GEC amp it's better sounding (near class A) and one can use the same o/p tranny for the 50W operating at 375V with lower anode dissip. Circuit is in Duncan amps.

More anon
richj

For some days I was reading, and reading......... about theory and that stuff.

I'm kind of lost. I dont know where to start to modify the first schematic that I posted to use it with KT88 instead of EL34, and to have 60W instead of 30.

How do I know the voltage swing that I need in the primary of the OPT if I know this??

output speakers= 6 ohm
secondary impedance of OPT: 6 ohm
primary impedance: 4K
UL taps: 43%

what else do I have to check? the "mu" of the EL34 & KT88?

thanks

zafira1981 said:
For some days I was reading, and reading......... about theory and that stuff. the "mu" of the EL34 & KT88?

thanks

Reading about tube stuff is good for tube amp design entry.
The Radiotron handbook 4th ed is a MUST for serious tubers and every bit of it is relevant in todays world. It makes one eschew semiconductors and chuck'em away.

For first tube design... to get the feel I would stay with EL34's with low B+. The 5-20 design is pretty reliable.
-> The mu for both EL34's and KT88's is about the same in tet/pent config, although the screen grid (g2) resistors are different with UL. KT88=270R; EL34 = 1K.
The 6550 series in Ultra Linear (UL) is restricted to 470V+.
The 5-20 EL34 circuit requires an A-A Z of 6K. There are plenty of trannies about.

richj

Very usefull information, thanks! :D

I have more questions.

One day, a teacher told me that the most important part of an amplifier is the power supply.

In the kt88 datasheets says that for UL connection and 70W, the stand by current is 2x50ma and for max signal, 2x140ma.

So, if the amp will be stereo, I will need a power supply capable of delivering 4x140mA, that is 0.56A x 460V

Am I right?

thanksssss

Time to update!!

GOOD NEWS!!!! I have new stuff.

- Power supply transformer
- OPT's
- choke

I've been building the chassis with 2mm tick aluminium.

Some pics of the irons, the chassis (in progrress) and some components:

8x220uF 400V caps for the power supply,
BY228 fast diodes (1.5KV / 2A)

Metal-film 3W resistors,
10x120R 3W resistor for the phantom load (my speakers impedance are 6 ohms, so the OPT's)

richwalters said:

Reading about tube stuff is good for tube amp design entry.
The Radiotron handbook 4th ed is a MUST for serious tubers and every bit of it is relevant in todays world. It makes one eschew semiconductors and chuck'em away.

Thanks for the tip.... I found the manual you mention online in pdf form.. Check it out...

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/RDH4.html

haha.. The TOC is 32 pages long...:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.