How to DIY a wooden multicell Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
May I know how to DIY a wooden multicell Horn simillar to the Altec 1803H?

Regards

Jimmy

Attachments

• altec 1803 horn-c.jpg
    altec 1803 horn-c.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,835
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those look great!
I have heard the Altec versions and they were fantastic.

Haven't seen Michael' site in some time, it does seem to be offline.

Maybe he can be reached by email?

onemichaelchrist at hotmail.com

just put the @ sign where it belongs.

Thank you panomaniac, do you know any diy web-site mention about the wooden multicell horn project?

And how about this wooden horn? Anybody know it? Is it a diy or commercial product? Where can I buy it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards

Jimmy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That horn is an Onken, I think. Onken drivers too.

It is in a very large and famous home installation in France. It has been reviewed in several magazines and websites. I'll see if I can find the links when I get home. Maybe that's were you found the photos?

Talk about bass horns!!

Just do some research on the basic design.
They can be built.

Well, anything can be built.

The construction can follow along the lines of the basic Altec/WE multicells. Of which this is a copy.

A problem will be at the area near the throat. The wood has a relatively large cross-sectional area (thickness) - which means that there will be reflections where the cells are combined, unless you do some very fancy wood working.

Also, a major issue will be the damping of the wood walls. The sound pressures in the horn itself are high. Damping is needed. Some of the metal horns were encased and potted in "tar" to make them stiff and damped, to solve this problem...

I'd say that to do a credible job in wood, you'd probably put in 100 hours in a well equiped wood shop... but they'd look good! :D

Myself, for home use I'd prefer a lower frequency cutoff single cell horn, probably a Tractrix...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.