Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just attended one of the two Hi-Fi Shows taking place here in Brussels over the weekend, ostensibly to get a look at the Sonic Impact Super T-Amp which was on display.

Having recently gotten my hands on an original T-Amp, I was kinda shocked that the Super-T was quite a good deal larger than I was expecting.

What really caught my eye, however, was a new contender in the Tripath stakes by a Hong Kong firm calling itself Trends Audio.

501823-TA-10-BS.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

501823-TA-10-CCEE.jpg

(Don't know why some of the images have plugs inset...sorry!)

From what I could tell, the build seemed pretty good and the sound was nice, considering show conditions, etc.

Has anyone here had a play with one of these yet?

Cheers, Dex

For someone not interested in building their own amp, this looks like a better alternative than the SI stuff.

This amp sells in Hong Kong for HKD$769 or about USD$99. I'm sure if you could manage to get it shipped to say the US, shipping would probably be another $30 or so, still a fair deal compared to a SuperT.

Here is a link for a HK site that sells it. Just paste it into google translator.

Link

Joined 2002
Paid Member
theAnonymous1 said:
For someone not interested in building their own amp, this looks like a better alternative than the SI stuff.

This amp sells in Hong Kong for HKD$769 or about USD$99. I'm sure if you could manage to get it shipped to say the US, shipping would probably be another $30 or so, still a fair deal compared to a SuperT.

Here is a link for a HK site that sells it. Just paste it into google translator.

Link

Click the "Eng" button on the left hand side right below the
Buyoyo logo and you get the site in Engish.

I'm tempted to get one myself even as I'm patiently trying to
assemble an Amp6.

Cheers,
Dennis

Hi Dexter

It was nice to meet you at the High Fidelity Belgium. For what it is worth coming from an distributor off the TA-10:

The TA-10 uses an lower gain factor than the SI T-amps. This results in an lower undistorted wattage. I find the sound of the TA-10 amp more refined and less "in your face" than the SI T-amps. The bass is more controlled and deeper.

The TA-10 demo you heard in Brussel, played with an 85 dB/W/M mini transmissionline.

Groeten Roland
Crafty

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have one of these now and have been doing a bit of listening.

Very nice right out of the box. Smooth top end.
Gain is higher than I'd like, maybe higher than the Sonic Impact. Will test to verify.

Bass and dynamics are pretty good, much better than the S.I., but not nearly as good as an AMP6.

Will post more ASAP.

Hello,

Panomaniac is this amp better than the SI Super-T?

I have the Cheap SI and the super-T which I have modded with poly input caps and stiffener caps.

I want to get something better, I found alot of DC offset on the super-t, the left channel has only 22mv DV, but the right channel has 144mv DC. I find the super-t a bit edgy and want something smoother.

Do you think think this amp sounds better than the super-t?

Thank You,

Robert

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Robert.
Good for you! You'll like it.

Is it as good as the Super-T? I don't know yet. There are no Super-Ts here for mods at the moment, and my own personal amp is out on loan. Need to get it back.

I think the first place to look will be the power supply. Maybe add to and/or upgrade what is in the box. The Trends seems to be a bit lacking in stereo seperation, good bass, and dynamics. May simply be a power supply cap problem.

The input caps look easy enough to replace. Might be worth while to do so. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. :)

Let us know what you think!

Hi,

Thank you for your reply panomaniac.
You said it lacks a bit in, "separation and bass and dynamics".
If this is true then maybe I won't like this amp better than the super-t.
I am thinking you have a mod that includes panasonic FM's pretty soon. LOL.

Thank you again if it wasn't for this site I would never have learned so much.

Out,

Robert

P.S. I am using the t-amps with a pair of fostex fe167e's in a 24L cabinet tuned to 53Hz with a FT17H's crossed over with a 0.33mF GE cap.

I guess the thing that I liked about the TA-10, is it has adjustment for DC offset, which on my super-t is just too much (atleast on the right channel which has 144mv DC, nice pop at power down).

I am sure you will come up with a great mod (please post when do, please).

Out,

Robert

Hi Shepperd

I got your mail. The Azumi's mini tl's are 85 dB/W/m 8 ohm. I designed the azumi's with rooms up to 20m2 in mind. The -3db point is 40hz in room. Small rooms boost bass. So it's possible to "tune"the tl much lower.

Here is an picture off the line:

The small enclosure at the beginning of the line is an internal helmholtz resonator to smooth a small resonance. The placement of the driver at 1/3 off the line closes the tml gap.

Groeten Roland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.