Bob Pease on the New LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FYI

The latest (9/1/2006) Bob Pease article in EDN magazine is about Bob's use of the new National LM4562 Dual Audio Op-Amp. He will apparently use this chip to test the 'audibility' of passive audio components. This will likely stir up the component 'audibility' debate once again. I personally enjoy bob's articles and some of his sly humor.

See the article here:
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/13166/13166.html

The LM4562 op-amp looks very interesting.

Vanishing low THD.
Available in SOIC, DIP, and metal can packages.
Easily drives 600 ohm loads.

See the National Semiconductor data sheet.

ZAP

Would be great if he does find something measurable, would save the DIY community a lot of time 'testing by ear' as to what part is good and not.

But, does Bob Pease have good ears? Never saw any article / report or what saying so...

Cheers!

edit: ok found the lm4562 data sheet. Now to pray that they price it "nice". Eval board at $150 ain't cheap!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
zapnspark said:
FYI

The latest (9/1/2006) Bob Pease article in EDN magazine is about Bob's use of the new National LM4562 Dual Audio Op-Amp. He will apparently use this chip to test the 'audibility' of passive audio components. This will likely stir up the component 'audibility' debate once again. I personally enjoy bob's articles and some of his sly humor.

See the article here:
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/13166/13166.html

The LM4562 op-amp looks very interesting.

Vanishing low THD.
Available in SOIC, DIP, and metal can packages.
Easily drives 600 ohm loads.

See the National Semiconductor data sheet.

ZAP

This is one hell of an opamp! Particularly impressive are the dynamic characteristics, especially the IMD figures. Low THD is one thing, even lower IMD is a real tour de force . And those PSRR curves should make lots of supply regulators jobless ;)

Which begs the question: for which market is this developed? Surely not for those hifi nuts that will flock to the sample program? For the Jeff Rowlands and Mark Levinsons of this world, they will surely not buy the 100's of 1000's needed for National to make some money?

Jan Didden

Will anyone in the vicinity be attending that lecture by Bob ?

"........Master Class at the Audio Engineering Society Convention in San Francisco, October 5-8......."

Sy ? Anyone?
Would really like to get the text ( and diagrams ) of that lecture !
Cheers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
That's one I'd love to go to, but chances are dim.

Whoever is buying all those AD797s from Analog.

Hmm... Could be. Then again, are AD selling that much AD797's?
I guess National will develop a new family including fully differentials for modems and other stuff, and this is just the first sibling. They already have the low voltage possibility.

Jan Didden

It works with a really low supply voltage, too (+/- 2.5V).

Would this op-amp work well with a single 12V rail? ( I forget what that configuration is called ). Simple op-amp buffer/filter designs would be way cheaper if you could power them with a wall-wart instead of having to build a custom power supply every time.

What would the max +/- output voltage be like in that configuration? Hmmm...

janneman said:

Hmm... Could be. Then again, are AD selling that much AD797's?
I guess National will develop a new family including fully differentials for modems and other stuff, and this is just the first sibling. They already have the low voltage possibility.

Jan Didden

I needed 4 AD797's for a project so bought 200 of them from Future -- and only have 6 left.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jackinnj said:
Before DK became a distributor in the U.S. I bought my ADI chips from Future or Newark -- could only purchase 200 at one point -- I made more boards than I expected and parted out the rest to other DIYrs and a physicist friend. I did the same thing with AD825's.

The LM4562 certainly appears to be priced right --

Hi Jack,

I missed that pricing, what is it?

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.