I am an IEC Socket Freak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heheheee!

I like them square drillbits!!! I have a hand nibbler which takes too wee bites. I also have a diamond-coated tension file but parts are in the way if retrofitting these sockets. I'll check out the very expensive RS.

Thanks all!

BTW. This is not really in the spirit of diy but I have a newish 5-amp powersupply which started smelling of burning plastic the other night.

I had a look inside and could only spot a burned resistor. I next measured the output and saw things were way out of spec.

Since it was almost unused and still under guarantee, I took it back to the supplier. Before doing this, I replaced the cover with only two out of the eight selftappers and kept the rest here to prevent them from getting lost at the dealer.

On collecting the repaired item today, I saw the technician did not replace my original screws and he claimed they got lost.

I told him to find me 6 other screws of similar type and after some humming and cussing, got replacements which I noted were longer than the originals.

Well, when I got home, I decided to have a look (before switching the thing on) and saw one of the two screws the 'technician' replaced, was firmly screwed into the mains cable inside....

We live in interesting times. Maybe I should sue for theft of 2 selftappers and attempted murder...

bulgin

Most of the IEC sockets I have come across require a minimum cutout of 19mm x 27mm. Square sheet metal punches are easy to find, so if you found a 19mm or 3/4" punch you could just punch a square with it then use a file or nibbler to remove another 8mm of material.

I've looked and looked for an IEC punch in the past and had no luck finding one.

I do it the dangerous messy way of using a cut-off disk and a dremel tool. When a cut-off disk explodes at 30,000rpm you better hope your face isn't in the way of the shrapnel.:eek:

theAnonymous1 said:

I do it the dangerous messy way of using a cut-off disk and a dremel tool. When a cut-off disk explodes at 30,000rpm you better hope your face isn't in the way of the shrapnel.:eek:

SY said:

The Dremel is the single handiest tool for electronics construction that I know.

I use a dremel, too, and every time I turn it on it scares the hell out of me. I wonder how many emergency room visits can be attributed to dremel tools every year...

I use composite type cut-off wheels. They are built up on a fiberglass disc so they don't shatter and explode like the cheapy all-stone ones that come with the dremel tool. I bought a 5 pack for about $10. It was the best $10 I've spent since I bought the dremel tool.

Cut off wheels are great for cutting bicycle brake and shifter cables and their jackets. I wrap the cable with a piece of tape, then cut the cable mid way through the tape. The tape keeps the cable from fraying while cutting.

I hear that car thieves defeat "the club" type steering wheel locks by using battery operated cutoff saws to saw through the thin steel at the core of the steering wheel rather than the thick steel of the lock...

I_F

I use composite type cut-off wheels. They are built up on a fiberglass disc so they don't shatter and explode like the cheapy all-stone ones that come with the dremel tool. I bought a 5 pack for about $10. It was the best $10 I've spent since I bought the dremel tool.

I've tried the reinforced disks but they are much thicker than the regular brittle disks so they have to remove more material which takes longer and makes more dust.

I learned very quickly to keep my face out of a broken disks flight path. I had one explode and take some skin off my cheek right below my eye, another inch up and I hate to think of what would of happened.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.